Transporting unfinished restoration

WoodFloats

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm in the process of restoring a '63 Old Town, 15', #50er. The canvas is removed as are the O/S gunwales. Several sections of planking have also been removed along with four non-contiguous ribs. I'd like to move the project 90 miles so I can continue working on it at our summer lake home. It would be car-topped. Question: is this a crazy idea or totally doable? I thought about duck/duct tape strapping about every foot...but, then I came to my senses and decided to seek Forum advice. Thoughts and/or suggestions? Thanks!

I've moved canoes in the condition similar to what you describe, 10 hrs on the interstate. The hull was wrapped in the stretch-wrap plastic like you see around pallets, which is sold where you buy moving supplies - like U-Haul. Plus a little duct tape to make sure the plastic doesn't move. Worked for me - your mileage may vary. Tom McCloud

Thanks Tom. Sounds like the prefect solution. I'll let you know after the first 20 miles. bj

I've moved em with a cursory wrap of duct tape around the stem planking to keep it from flapping at speed and a whole lot of next to nothing holding the rest of it together...it's pretty amazing how far you can go without losing anything. The one I'm working on survived a 5 hour drive home and it was only loosely held together by unclinched tacks and hand tightened screws.

I did loose a big chunk of an Indian Girl stem once while transporting a sad sack canoe a friend gave me...I knew it was in pieces but I didn't expect to lose them...oh well...it needed a new stem anyway.
You should be fine hauling it the way that Tom recommended...or take a few minutes and throw a few screws into the outside rails and worry less.

Back