Trailer ideas

cwfrench

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
While driving around for a three day break with my wife and the MG, My wife got talking about being able to trailer the canoe behind the MG to some of the great water we were passing here and there. I have a nice hitch on one of my winter MGs and could replicate that well enough for the 'nice' car. We/I do not chose to spend the $$$ for a purpose built trailer for our "soon to be done" 17' long CS model Old Town. We got thinking about making one from a sourced axle and building it up from there OR buying a cheapo Harbor Freight 4' x 4' light duty trailer and adding in a removable extension section for the tongue. They can be had new for under $200 and the steel for the extension is available at a shop near my house I already buy from for various projects. Looking at Northern Tool/Tractor Supply etc online, free standing axles alone are the same price as the existing trailer with all the trailer stuff added on. Thoughts? For the old Volvo wagons we own when not MGing it, I would just put it on the roof of need be but we wanted the option of doing 2-3 day trips and bring the canoe with us. This would also give us a light weight trailer for the MG when we talk about doing some multi-day expeditions with it (She wants to go cross country in it).

This my be out of your price range, but this company is making some pretty cool stuff for transporting canoes/kayaks. Their product would certainly look like it belongs behind a classic MG lots more than El-Cheapo brand from Northern or Harbor Freight....
http://www.maloneautoracks.com/

Try an old boat trailer off of Craigslist and rig it up to haul canoes. It would be a plus if you have a welder and know how to weld.

Good luck,

Paul

Found a 12' Jonboat trailer on Craigslist that needs rust repair and a new tongue so that could be perfect. waiting to hear back on it.

I have attached a picture of an old boat trailer that I converted to a two boat, or one boat 2canoe or 4 canoe station trailer.

I would have run a mast up the middle and bars across if I didn't need the full open space for a boat.

The side bar on one side come out to enable loading from the side.

If you are dealing with rust issues you need to check out a website for car restorers that has great stuff, www.eastwood.com

Good luck,

Paul

Attachments

• IMAG0231.jpg
    IMAG0231.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 527
Thanks for the reply. In looking at the web, I found lots of resources for multiplace trailers but heard crickets when looking for a single one. I think I am on the right track. Eastwood is a great place. I have many scars on my hands from restoring a few British sports cars and have some of their stuff on my shelf right now.

You get what you pay for at Harbor Freight, including bearings that may let you down at an inopportune time. Rule of thumb is to never buy anything with moving parts there.

Most light boat trailers are too heavily sprung for canoes, guideboats, light pulling boats and the like.

I have a single place Trailex aluminum trailer and it works great.

6-Canoe expedition trailer for sale, with a box for paddles, PFDs, other gear. Solidly built, and reportedly inexpensive. I have towed their trailers, and they worked well a couple of years ago. Gib's phone is 630-942-2787. Probably heavily sprung, as the program uses plastic boats.

To second what Dan Miller has said about HF trailers -- there has been extensive discussion of them on the WoodenBoat Magazine website forums and the problems they present when used for trailering boats -- almost all negative -- check it out.

Thanks, leaning towards just building my own. Just need to figure out the easiest (cheapest) way out on the axle/suspension bit. I have a few MGs and toyed with the idea of a wire wheeled axle as it will be behind one of our MGs just as often. Not thrilled about the weight issue.

Homebuilt

I used the frame from an old Coleman popup camper. I removed all of the leaf springs but the main leaf. My son helped me after work. We have about twenty hours and $130 into the rebuild. The camper was free. Used square tubing and angle iron left over from other projects. Mixed green and black paint together to have enough to do the whole trailer. Last week we pulled it to the assembly via Virginia and Ohio for a total of 3600 miles with no trouble. We brought back three canoes with no damage.
Thanks to everyone on the forum that advised lightening the springs. i am sure that made all the difference.

Last edited:
I like the idea of wire wheels. Does your MG have knock-off hubs and will you match them on the trailer?

It would be this one;
1967_mg_mgb.jpg

I have a daily driver GT that already has a trailer hitch on it and will copy that one.

Macky,
Curious as to what size tubing you used? Looks like 2" square? Like how you added the perimeter rail too. We got a old boat trailer with masts added for a single canoe as part of a package deal. I am going to need to eventually carry more. Thought by adding racking I could make it heavier to correct it being over sprung. After reading your post I need to look and see what it will take to remove springs too.

I used 2" x 3" x.120 wall for the tongue. 1.5" x 3" x .120 wall for the perimeter, and 1.5" square x .120 wall for everything else. The 1.5" angle iron is about 1/8" thick.
I used what I we already had. I was really thinking the trailer might not work out, but it seems to be fine so far.

Thanks Macky. The steel place I buy all the stuff for projects is less than 2 miles from my house so very convenient for me.

Sportsrig

I know my experience is going a different direction than where this post is headed, but think a lighter trailer is smart for a small car like an MG (I have a 74 Midget). My trailer was store bought, but is perfect for one or two canoes and to pull with a small/light car. it is also sprung softly so the tailer suspension takes the beating from road bumps - not my canoes. I found mine used on eBay and saved a lot...though it still was not low cost. I really like it and confidently recommend. The trailer is rated to carry 250lbs. so two wood/canvas canoes are a good fit. The newer ones don't have the wire wheels anymore, but would match the MG if you can find one.

http://www.sportsrig.com/

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 419
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 413
Back