Thwart length for a 1938 Otca

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I picked up a 16' 1938 Otca CS recently. It's had no thwarts nor seats for a long time so it's likely splayed out at least a little. Can someone give me the hole-to-hole dimension for the two thwarts? or over-all thwart lenght? Thank you!
20190824_151657.jpg 20190824_151812.jpg

Howie, Best I can do is I have a 1941 Otca in the shop now. she's 17 feet though . hole to hole end thwarts are 27 1/2 and center one is 31 .

Thanks Dave, but I believe the thwarts are sized differently for an 17 footer.

Nobody else? How about overall width of an Otca? Or rail-to-rail width at the center? Or maybe catalogue specs?

I might also add that from what I can see on-line the over-all width could be either 34-1/2" for an older model or 36" for a 'newer' model. Not sure which type my 1938 would be... It has the longish 24" coping style decks.

I've got a pair of thwarts the appear to be Old Town. Their hole-to-hole is about 27-1/2". They bring the overall width (at the bulge) to about 33-3/4" (without outer rails), so I'm thinking they are about 1" too short.

I might also add that from what I can see on-line the over-all width could be either 34-1/2" for an older model or 36" for a 'newer' model. Not sure which type my 1938 would be...

The 16 foot long Otca was 34.5 inches wide as described in the 1938 catalog page below. More information like this is available from http://www.wcha.org/store/complete-old-town-canoe-company-catalog-collection as you probably know well. These scans and the information at http://www.wcha.org/content/old-town-canoe-company confirm that the width of the 16 foot long Otca changed in 1957 along with the decks. I don't own a 16 foot long Otca so can't offer more detailed dimensions. Sorry,

Benson

PAGE-05.jpg

Thanks Benson! And I had thought the Old Town catalogue was available somewhere but could't find it. Thanks for the link. O - it costs $40! Have I not mentioned I'm cheap!?

Benson: Been thinking about the width change from 34-1/2" to 36" in 1957. I'm thinking that they didn't make a new form for this - they likely just used different sized thwarts. If so then the bottom & sides up to the water line would be exactly the same. Sound right?

No, the Yankee model became the new 16 foot long Otca in 1957 and the narrower Otca form was retired. Wider canoes were more popular at that time.

Benson

Back