There's 'glass, but how about underneath?

You're right. It's not canvas - but I'm not sure it's fiberglass either (not that it matters much). The fact that it didn't turn clearer and the slightly fuzzy nature of the fibers looks like it might be one of the spun fibers (probably polyester, maybe polypropylene) like Dynel, Xynole, etc. In any case, it's good that it came off without a horrible battle and you're on the right track restoring it to canvas.

Woo hoo! Yeah, there was no saving it, whatever it was. I suppose the main reason I figured fiberglass since I saw they laid a separate keel strip on, covered in gloopy stuff that looks like epoxy.

Either way, yeah - looking forward to the next step.
Thx for the input!

Brad,
Congratulations on getting that skin (whatever it was) off. I wonder if it was epoxy resin or something else that it came off so easy.

Rob,
Ya, we see canoes like that every so often in the BW/Q when folks try to avoid the portages. Many of the outfitters have one like that in front of their place to discourage rapid running but every year or so somebody has to learn the hard way and buy a canoe. :)

Dan

Dan Miller said:
Too late, Michael, there's been one (a 'glass Old Town Rushton) on display in the small craft building for a number of years.

The museum was very helpful when Old Town came out with the Rushton model. The company wanted to contact Rushton's descendents to see if they had any concerns about calling this model the Rushton. The museum helped the factory contact some of Rushton's family and they did not object. The museum then asked if they could have the first Old Town Rushton built with serial number one for their old and new display. The company agreed to send them one of their Rushtons but had to explain that their serial numbers were assigned independently of the model so the first Rushton did not have serial number one.

Benson

Re-canvas..........

Brad,
Don't forget, I'm here for ya when it's time to canvas the old girl.
Maybe we could make a chapter event out of it.........
Dave

Dave n' Splinter - you guys are awesome. I really appreciate it, and just may take you up on the offer. I don't know the first thing about "come alongs," and finding a pair of pickups in my neighborhood isn't gonna be easy either. :)

I'll keep everyone posted!

Great question - Perhaps June?

First, I have a few broken ribs, and a few small holes in the planking. After examining the canoe upside down (with no skin on) the other night, I noticed a sharp bulge where it seems a couple consecutive ribs are cracked.

So I think getting some more experienced help is in order at this point - I want to learn to do this the right way. I haven't seen any profiles listing members in the immediate area around Chicago, so I may try and haul this thing over to the Chicagoland Canoe Base for Ralph Frese to take a look, if I can't find help that can come to me.

I also need new outwales, so I may order them from Old Town via REI (saw that worked for someone in another thread). It's cheaper and easier than buying and learning to use a router table right now, my woodworking skills are pretty limited.

Can't wait to stretch n' squeeze, though!! What a great point to be at in a project.

It's true, and heard it straight from the horse's mouth. I'd be nervous to mention it without his permission, except that he had the shop listed for sale on Craigslist, of all places.

It'll be really sad if this shop ends up closing for lack of an experienced person that loves canoeing. The shop is located in one of the only (perhaps lone) remaining blacksmith shop in the Chicago area, and the whole store just has a great feel to it. He told me nobody with the necessary interest in the history and construction has stepped forward.

Perhaps someone will before Ralph is forced to let it all scatter into the wind in some big sale...

Back