Tack sources

Coanbu

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I will be getting some tacks soon and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the the ones from Lee Valley vs the ones Noah's? The price difference is trivial and the former are Brass and the latter are Copper.

Not sure what Noah’s or Lee Vally have for sale, but most of us order brass canoe racks from Northwoods Canoe, Island Falls Canoe, or factory direct from D. B. Gurney.

makes no difference, but i would buy from Noahs likely you will need more supplies and they have it all, unlike Lee Valley

I have not seen Noah's tacks, but on their web site they describe their "Canoe Tacks" as "copper cut tacks". A copper cut tack is not a canoe tack. The taper on a canoe tack is much different and clinches much different.
Maybe their "Canoe Tacks" do have the proper taper and beveled point but I would check before buying any. Maybe someone that has used them can clarify how good they are for canoe tacks.

To put it all in focus, here are tacks, brass and copper from the sources mentioned in this thread.

Attachments

• Gurney Brass Tacks.gif
    Gurney Brass Tacks.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 251
  • Gurney Copper Clout Nails.gif
    Gurney Copper Clout Nails.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 279
  • Lee Valley Tacks.gif
    Lee Valley Tacks.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 251
  • NW Tacks.gif
    NW Tacks.gif