tack holes in ribs

robert

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Does anyone have some suggestions for repairing tack holes in ribs?

I have canoes that someone started to re plank, however, in doing so the ribs have some un-slightly holes. Is this a structural weakness? If not I was thinking about trying two methods. First, creating a filler our of wood glue and fine white cedar dust from the thickness plainer. The other alternative was to use the previous technique, however use thin pieces of cedar (spoke shave shavings) and cut out a vineer of sorts that could be placed over the holes and sanded flush.

Thanks for the heads up. As much as I want to do the right thing with these canoes, I would hate to remove, good, and more importantly, original ribs, over a handful of blemishes.

Cheers;
Robert

Might try this ?

Wood glue can turn white with stripper chemicals so make sure to fill last just before the varnish is applied . It will be a curse to the next restorer . I prefer to use a good clear epoxy only unless the scar is deep then use a epoxy/wood flour mix . It often becomes invisable when the cured filler surface is cleaned up with a cabinet scraper rather than sand paper . For a slightly rotted rib tip repair mix coarse table saw dust with epoxy and apply liberaly to the area . After the epoxy has cured file it to the desired rib end shape . It will look just like the rib wood end grain .

My vote is either to leave them alone or to go the epoxy/wood flour route as well. Use the finest dust you've got. I actually use West System's 405 filleting blend filler most of the time. It sands out easier than wood flour and the colour is usually neutral to most woods. Robert, if you fill your holes with epoxy, wipe the extra goop off the face of the rib with methyl hydrate before it kicks. It will save you allot of sanding grief.

Hey Mark:

What shade of brown does the 405 Filleting Blend dry too?

Cheers;
Robert

About the same as the bar on the "quick reply" box.
It depends on how much you add to the epoxy and it depends if you add other fillers to tweak the mix. I keep a range of sanding dust on hand for tinting as well. You can also use universal tints or artist's oils to tint epoxy but you risk a weaker result when doing so.
Hey, You know Drew Barnes and his wife Christy up there in Apsley?

Back