Stem form advice

Brian J Knudsen

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello,

I plan to build a stem form to bend a new stem for a 1923 Otca. I have a 1942 Yankee and I read that the stem shape is the same. I can't tell from what I have because the Otca is broken and not the original shape. I am new to this so I'll benefit from any suggestions. My question now is, how much spring back should I anticipate in a kiln dried piece of ash or oak? How should I figure this into my form? I assume that the wood I will get will be kiln dried, but how would this change if it were air dried?

Thank you,
Brian

This is from Mike Elliotts blog
How To Make Solid Hardwood Stems for a J. H. Rushton Indian Girl Wood-Canvas Canoe
March 21, 2019
by Mike Elliott, Kettle River Canoes
email: artisan@canoeshop.ca

During the restoration of a wood-canvas canoe, it is rare to have to replace the entire stem in the canoe. However, when faced with the restoration of a canoe which is more than 100 years old, a new stem (or two) is more than likely going to be part of the project.

I restored a 1905 J.H. Rushton Indian Girl canoe. Both stems had extensive rot and one was broken in two places. Rushton made his stems from a solid piece of rock elm. Since this wood is nearly extinct now (thanks to Dutch Elm Disease), I used straight-grained ash 1″ (25mm) thick (at the lumber yard this is referred to as 4/4 ̶ pronounced four-quarters).

The first step is to remove the stems from the canoe. I use both a tack remover and a Japanese concave cutter bonsai tool to remove the fasteners without doing too much damage to the ribs, planks and stems in the canoe.

The next step is to create a bending form. Here, I present the dimensions of the bending form required for the Rushton Indian Girl.

It is comprised of three layers of 5/8″ (16mm) plywood. I ask my local building supply centre if they have any damaged sheets of plywood. I can get all of the wood I require for a fraction of the cost of full sheets of plywood. All three piece have the same curve but the centre piece of plywood has a longer base which clamps easily into a work-bench vice.

I start by placing the original stem on one piece of plywood and drawing the inside curve of the stem onto it.

I then keep the stem-top in the same location as the original while rotating the stem until the curve is about 3½” (9cm) greater than the original. The form shape is then drawn onto the plywood and is extended about 6″ (15cm) at both ends to accommodate the clamping system.

Couple quick things: air dried, not kiln dried. Straight grain with no runout will minimize failures. Soak a week and steam an hour per inch at 200 deg. Leave on the form for a couple of weeks and spring back should be minimal. Once it’s beveled it should be easy to move. Best of luck

Thank you both. Good information. I will seek out air dried oak or ash to make things go more smoothly.

Brian,
There is a mill near me that has air dried lumber. Give me a call or email. I’ll hook you up.
Jim

Back