Steamer stunner - a tail of woe

MGC

Scrapmaker
For small jobs I use a PVC pipe steamer. It's an 8 inch tube plugged on one end with a 1 1/2 inch Y inlet pipe (for the steam) about half way down, fiberglass rods to elevate the material and a tight fitting wooden plug on the end that is loaded/unloaded. The last time I used it I leaned it in a corner in my shop with both ends plugged...
Today I was (still am) planning to steam a few small pieces of cherry that I've been soaking so I got the steamer out of the corner and hung it up to use it. When I pulled the plug out an odd odor greated my nose. Hm....why would that plug smell like that I thought...and then it dawned on me..."oh no, don't even go there".
I put the plug back in and went looking for a flashlight so that I could see to the bottom of the tube, the end that had been pointing down while it was standing in the corner.
With the light in hand, I pulled the plug out again and looked to the bottom to confirm my worst nightmare...mice had entered the Y inlet and had fallen to the bottom of the tube. They were not able to get back out again and more or less became one with my steamer. I boiled some water and I'm currently making mouse tea and hoping that I can remove these buggers out before I steam my pieces....
I have either invented a really elegant mouse trap or I've ruined my steamer...the jury is out.

This was gross! The mouse tea was successfully launched over the fence in the backyard along with whatever bits remained of the furry felons. I gave the steamer a rinse with some boiling water and fired it up. The bits are bent but the process polluted my cellar workshop. My wife kindly closed the door to leave me stuck down there with the foul stench....till death do us part, my foot. I'm thinking about adding some lavender oil to the thing to try and alter it's aroma... I'll need it again in a few weeks for some ribs...maybe the cedar will restore it.

"Till death do us part..." Sounds about right - the death of the mice led to you and your wife parting (hopefully only temporarily!).

Turn a negative into an opportunity and restore relations with SWMBO. Use your steamer for dim sum. Maybe hold the
mouse tea.
U99P200T1D143395F8DT20080124205702.jpg

Turn a negative into an opportunity and restore relations with SWMBO. Use your steamer for dim sum. Maybe hold the
mouse tea.
U99P200T1D143395F8DT20080124205702.jpg

Nice Dim Sum....I love Dim Sum lunch in Hong Kong...but I have never seen anything quite like that. Very elegant . That must be a Dundas St. special?
Here's one I used to love to show to new hires before their first trip to China...once it's properly prepared you can't tell it apart from chicken...coming to a Chick fil-Eh near you!
Dinner Rat.PNG
Ratty fil-eh.PNG

Back