st louis meramec

ken mueller

Canton, Ohio
I would be interested in any information about this canoe. s/n looks like 664 or 564- 16. Has a very sharp bow and stern. I checked the Dragonfly's description of this canoe, and would like any other info. What I see so far is that it appears to be made with lightweight in mind. The ribs are just a hair thinner (thickness) than I've seen, and the thwarts are very light . Thanks!

Ken, we have recently purchased a St. Louis Meramec canoe. The arrowhead decks appear to be the most distinctive feature. I wouldn't say that ours gives the appearance of a lightweight canoe. The ribs seem about as thick as other canoes but I will measure just to see. How long is your model? I'm guessing a 16" from the serial number. We haven't been able to find any useful records on the numbering scheme. We do live near Valley Park, Mo. where the company operated and plan on doing research in our local historical society regarding the business records.

Thanks for your reply. I would be interested in knowing what you find out about this canoe. As for the thickness of the ribs, I was gaging them against my Chestnut, and they were maybe a sixteenth inch thinner. I also noticed that (compared again to the Chestnut) the thwarts were thinner and lighter in weight. Not much, but a little bit. Yes, it is a 16 footer, and a little over 34 inches measuring outside to outside at the gunwales.

Just curious, where did you find the canoe? We have no idea how many of these were produced and might still be around. (Hoping our research finds some mention of production quantities). As for the ribs, we have a Carleton and a Shell Lake in addition to the Meramec. Our neighbors have an OTCA. I will measure them all and let them know.

Bought from a man in Canton, Ohio. He bought it, used, as a boy scout 40 years ago. He states that it was originally used as a rental, I don't know where. I'm not really sure how old it is. Had it in a storage building for a few years because of downsizing, then decided to sell. Does yours have a s/n?

Thanks, Gil. My canoe definetely has otca genes, although no half ribs. Outwales appear to be mahogany. What I like about this canoe is the very sharp bow and stern (very thin , I can barely fit my hand between the cant ribs and the stem).

Great paddling

We finally put our Meramec in the water on Saturday. Some leakage but not nearly as much as expected considering the condition of the canvas. It handled beautifully on an open lake and was quite stable despite the seats (remuddled at some point) being quite high. Having lifted and carried it several times now, I would definitely agree with Ken that it feels more lightweight. We haven't measured the ribs and thwarts yet but side by side with our Carleton you can definitely tell they are thinner. As far as the St. Louis Boat and Canoe,we have been by the old building a couple of times in Valley Park, Mo. and have tracked down a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy in contact with the current owner and are scheduling another trip out there soon. Just FYI for those with interest in Alfred Wickett. We have visited his gravesite in Kirkwood to admire the canoe carved in the granite. His son Laurence who was also in the St. Louis Boat and Canoe company with him is buried beside him. Ours is a 17', we think Meramec model, #381. The outwales and decks appear to be oak but there has been some dark varnish applied at some point. It does have half ribs and is 36" outwale to outwale. It belonged to a doctor here in St. Louis and we purchased it with what appears to be an Old Town sailing rig. Gil is correct about the "Wabash Cannonball" of St. Louis to Michigan, many St. Louisans still have summer places in Charlevoix and Saugatuck along Lake Michigan.

abhraxas said:
We finally put our Meramec in the water on Saturday. Some leakage but not nearly as much as expected considering the condition of the canvas. It handled beautifully on an open lake and was quite stable despite the seats (remuddled at some point) being quite high. Having lifted and carried it several times now, I would definitely agree with Ken that it feels more lightweight. We haven't measured the ribs and thwarts yet but side by side with our Carleton you can definitely tell they are thinner. As far as the St. Louis Boat and Canoe,we have been by the old building a couple of times in Valley Park, Mo. and have tracked down a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy in contact with the current owner and are scheduling another trip out there soon. Just FYI for those with interest in Alfred Wickett. We have visited his gravesite in Kirkwood to admire the canoe carved in the granite. His son Laurence who was also in the St. Louis Boat and Canoe company with him is buried beside him. Ours is a 17', we think Meramec model, #381. The outwales and decks appear to be oak but there has been some dark varnish applied at some point. It does have half ribs and is 36" outwale to outwale. It belonged to a doctor here in St. Louis and we purchased it with what appears to be an Old Town sailing rig. Gil is correct about the "Wabash Cannonball" of St. Louis to Michigan, many St. Louisans still have summer places in Charlevoix and Saugatuck along Lake Michigan.
Would you be interested in exchanging some pictures of our canoes? I am especially interested in the caning pattern of the seats. Starting to take the canoe apart to replace some ribs. The stem bands appear to be all copper, maybe this is an indication of the age of the canoe. Also the keel feels very light (16 ft).

Pix of Meramec seats

Ken, we would be happy to send you pix of our canoe and seats. It may take a bit, we just got a new digital camera and a new pc, so everything isn't set up yet. Our canoe did not have the original caning intact and only had one of the original seat frames. However, we have latched onto a Meramec seat from around the 40's that does have caning. We will include that in the pictures.

Great! I'm sending you 3 pictures of my canoe, the day I brought her home. Both seats were intact, but the caning is gone and was replaced with rope. The flower painted on the bow had to go!

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 534
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 525
  • Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 553
I'll trade you a Gooney Bird, Chief Wahoo and an Eagle for your Flower...

We should have a new forum subject...Canoe Artwork.

Attachments

• Pal.jpg
    Pal.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 457
Our Meramec came with some interesting 1930s-ish decals on bow and stern that resemble a Dutch boy and girl and some kind of road runner looking bird. I agree, canoe art is an interesting category.

Just wondered if you ever found out anything more about your canoe- I purchased a St Louis Meramec last week. It has numbers 1609 15 stamped in the front inside center rail.. Just wondered how rare it is>

With a stem number of 1609, this canoe was built around 1942,
by the St. Louis Boat & Canoe Company, not by the St. Louis Meramec Canoe Company.

Back