Spruce vs Pine

tostig

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Gum and roots. What's your preference - spruce or pine? Are there differences or are they essentially the same?

Spruce vs. Pine

Pitch is pitch. I'm not a chemist, but I suspect that Pine resin is chemically identical to Spruce resin. There is a big difference, however in color. Pine is clear and Spruce is reddish brown. Spruce is traditional with Native builders. But some modern builders, Native and non-Native, use Pine because it doesn't obscure the root lashings beneath. Others use Spruce because it adds an attractive color accent that coordinates nicely with tan bark.

As for roots, Spruce is the overwhelming favorite among traditional Native builders. However, Jack Pine is favored by Ojibway builders around the Great Lakes. I have also used Tamarack roots and found them just as tough and workable as Black Spruce.

tedbehne said:
Pitch is pitch. I'm not a chemist, but I suspect that Pine resin is chemically identical to Spruce resin. There is a big difference, however in color. Pine is clear and Spruce is reddish brown. Spruce is traditional with Native builders. But some modern builders, Native and non-Native, use Pine because it doesn't obscure the root lashings beneath. Others use Spruce because it adds an attractive color accent that coordinates nicely with tan bark.

As for roots, Spruce is the overwhelming favorite among traditional Native builders. However, Jack Pine is favored by Ojibway builders around the Great Lakes. I have also used Tamarack roots and found them just as tough and workable as Black Spruce.

There is also a difference in the flavor and smell of the 2 pitches. The spruce is kind of "sprucy" and the pine is very "piney" eh.;)

Pine or Spruce

I used Spruce pitch and Jackpine root in my canoe. It (gum) came up a beautiful brown and has darkened a bit in the 2 years it has been on the canoe. No problems yet.

Back