Southeast Chapter - August gathering

WCHA Southeast

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Southeast Chapter
Wooden Canoe Heritage Association
Aug. 4th and 5th, Melbourne, Florida

Anyone interested in fun, fellowship and canoeing, and in planning the future of the WCHA’s Southeast Chapter is invited to attend a meeting at the home of Michael, Tanya and River Grace, the first weekend in August. Bring a canoe or canoes for discussion and paddling, and help plan the future of the Southeast Chapter.

Saturday:
- Boathouse tour
- Workshop (caning or canvasing, TBD)
- Presentation: Brevard Wildlife Corridor Expedition
- Dinner and planning meeting
- Sea turtles on the beach

Sunday:
- paddling trip and natural history of the St. Johns River, Florida

For details and to RSVP, call 321-733-9460 or email wcha_southeast@yahoo.com (wcha underscore southeast at yahoo.com)

Michael,

Count me in. I can bring extra canoe if needed. Are there rooms nearby? Thanks, Macky

Hello Fritz, Steve, Jim and all other WCHA members and future WCHA members,

The Southeast chapter gathering is the first of many to come. This is also a planning meeting to help decide what , where, and when for future meetings.

After being dormant for a few years Michael Grace is getting this started again. We need a contact list; email, phone numbers, and/or snail mail. Right now the challenge

is to get the word out. Thanks, Macky

Hello Everyone:

This event will be great and hope that those interested will come join us. I will be there.

I can bring canoes, and paddles. Please let me know.

All you have to do is get there! Hope to see a great turn out! Also, for those of you who haven't met Michael Grace and his family, they are as nice as you would ever want to meet. You will feel welcome and enjoy being in their company!

Looking forward to meeting many of you and some that I already know!

R.S.V.P. to the information above.

See you there!
PattyM

Hello Michael,

I suppose it is OK to bring an Old Town Yankee to the Southeast gathering?

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the gathering. Grandson turns 1 that weekend and life is much more pleasant when my daughter is smiling and speaking to me ;) Hopefully next time!

UPDATE: SE Chapter places to stay, etc.

UPDATE:

1. Kids are of course VERY welcome at this event, and they will find plenty to keep them entertained.

2. Places to stay:

Parks:
Sebastian Inlet State Park is at the southern end of the county (26 miles south on the beach). This nationally renowned fishing spot provides some of the best tarpon, snook, redfish and goliath grouper fishing on the East coast of the U.S.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/sebastianinlet/

Wickham Park (6 miles north) is a suburban park with tent and RV sites, swimming ponds and a variety of other amenities, all close to the comforts of town.
http://www.campingspacecoast.com/wickham/index.php

Hotels:
There are a wide array of hotels near exit 180 on I-95. The only one I might avoid would be the Hampton Inn. These can be nice hotels, but this one sits adjacent to a venue that is sometimes VERY loud on weekends.

Southeast Chapter meeting and reinvigoration

UPDATES:

605 Sugar Pine Dr., West Melbourne, FL

Cost: $0

Bring: canoes, paddles, life vests, canoe accessories, kids, grandkids, etc. There is a pool and the Grace’s live within a zoo, so kids should have a great time.

Agenda:

Saturday:
12:00PM – 4:00PM Boathouse tour, discussion, techniques workshop
4:00PM – 6:00PM Planning Meeting
6:00PM – 9:00PM Dinner, social
9:00PM – 12:00PM Sea turtle walk on the beach (if attendees wish)

Sunday:
9:00AM – 2:00PM Paddling and natural history of the St. Johns River

IMPORTANT NOTE: Macky called the Hampton Inn and asked about my worry (a big worry about noise from a nearby venue). He was assured that this is not a problem. This Hampton Inn is very convenient to I-95, US-192 and the Grace home.

Hampton Inn Melbourne
194 Dike Road, Melbourne, FL
(321) 956-6200

Questions? Please email WCHA_southeast@yahoo.com

Back