solvent for dried filler

frogahern

frogahern
On the inner rail and a few of the rip tops there is filler. They are stained and varnished. I hope I can use a solvent and not have to sand and stain again. It is not a lot of area so I am hoping someone can recommend a solvent. I have not painted yet. I had flipped the canoe to fit the seats..... I have tried the usual things, thinner and whatnot...... Thanks Mike

You may have to sand and re-stain.

That's one of the reasons I always put one or two coats of varnish on the inside before I canvas. It also will not be discolored by what every you put on the outside of the hull before you canvas.

You should scrape as much of the filler off the wood and then sand whatever remains.

We always learn the most from the things we do wrong; not right.

May the learning continue,

Paul

Last edited:
I use a card scraper. The minute burr, if it's working can take the stuff off without causing too much, if any, scratches.

Paul, thank you for your response. We do indeed learn from our mistakes. One mistake we all have made is to miss a word here or there and misconstrue a missive. I did varnish the interior before filling as stated in my post... Dave, I assume you mean a cabinet scraper? Good idea. Thanks Mike......

Sorry for not reading well. Most likely not the last time.

I can blame it on Old timers disease.

You should be ok with the scraper and light sanding and not get down to the stain.

Back