So hows your winter?

john hupfield

fire starter/wood burner
This was December. I cant see any canoes.

Attachments

• IMG_0232_1.jpg
    IMG_0232_1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 469
snow

this was about daily in December. Almost dont miss the Harley, the snowblower is loud and vibrates. Except it has no kickstart and doesnt leak as much oil.
Chin up John, thaw is over and another foot or two coming this week:eek:

Attachments

• P1100848.JPG
    P1100848.JPG
    468.2 KB · Views: 476
A few small signs of spring: the chickadees are beginning to sing their spring song (the two-note one, not the dee-dee-dee one) and the male goldfinches are beginning to color-up.

But it's still snowing...

My Chickadees haven't changed yet.
Heard a thing on the radio this morning about a heated vest that keeps your fingers warm.
My complaint has always been "can't work when my hands are freezing", It's one thing to heat a shop by wood,it's another thing to be able to use woodworking tools (excepting an ax,which is impolite to canoes).
John

Denis M. Kallery said:
John,
We've had 182.1 inches of snow here in the U.P. That's 5 feet above normal. :(
Denis

On the bright side, that will be more water to paddle on in the spring!

We had a big thaw, and flood this week. The maple sap has started to flow, but will stop when the temps dive again for at least a week. Then it'll be woodsmoke and maple syrup coming out our yin yang.

I think Curmudgons have it right.
I saw Sandhill Cranes in Hip Waders once but not in Mitts and Touques.
Rob I hope you are going to make a lot of Syrup. I could flavour it with Beech Nuts and Pine Needles.
Nothing unusual here in birds unless you count Palpitated Woodpeckers and Ravens big enough to carry off the sun. Deer on the ice. Lack of summer residents. Drifts that turn out to be your car.
All is well for February.
John

3 weeks ago, stood on the road in front of our place and snapped this.

The winter's not too bad, now that the cold snaps are over. It is getting hard to remember what it felt like to be warm.

Attachments

• January 31, 2009 009.jpg
    January 31, 2009 009.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 437
Just south of Denver

Temps last week in the mid 40's,58 high for today I will be putting on varnish because we are getting temps in the mid 60's for the next 3 days. Its great for woking on canoes, but the good water to canoe on is back east, will be coming to MI in May and bringiing a canoe with me. I hope to start building on the new Bob's Special next week. Think spring!! :)

Andre; Feed those sled dogs. You might need them. And put their flippers on them in case of meltdown.
Your 90 mile neighbour,
John

Just passed through the land of Dennis and Kathy (Marquette to Munising). Saw no sign of Spring as shown by the pics. We loved it!!

Attachments

• IMG_0287_2.jpg
    IMG_0287_2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 426
Hate to clean up dogpatch come Spring. Bad enough when you find your misplaced cat, axe, snowshovel, boot, canoe, cord of wood.
John

90 miles

87.7km so only 55 miles. oh dear, too close - stay out of my woodpile, and I've counted my trees. :eek:
just bought some 7018 rod at the depot, now to weld casters on the storage rack so my vertical stack of punky project boats is moveable.

Well this morning NOAA has us at 199.9 inches of snow for the season and it was still snowing. Temp was about 10 F.
Andy why didn't you stop we would have liked to have hosted you. Anyone coming through here is welcome.
Denis :)

Bummer... we've gotten exactly 0.00 inches of snow so far this year. Photos below show a little of "winter". First was a break from canoeing for River to catch some minnows (and hopefully watch over his shoulder for gators). Second- he found your sandhill cranes! Third... new babies hatching this morning (and three new batches of eggs laid in the yard this past week)!

So, back to canoes... can anyone find the canoe-related item in the photos?

M

Attachments

• River.jpg
    River.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 420
  • Sandhill.jpg
    Sandhill.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 428
  • torts.jpg
    torts.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 431
Back