Sixteen-Thirty Progress

Dan Miller

cranky canoeist
Staff member
Attached is a photo of the progress on my Sixteen-Thirty as of earlier today...

Left to do:

- cockpit coamings and deck hatch rings and the hull is complete and ready for finish.

- tiller/rudder connector rod to be whittled down from my old Doug fir poling pole (which I haven't used in years and is already stress-tested.

- Shape the booms from the glued-up blanks

- make wooden cap plugs for the carbon fiber masts

- locate deck and spar hardware and then paint

- go sailing - 1st scheduled event is the Small Craft Workshop at Mystic Seaport first weekend in June

Attachments

• IMGP1659a.jpg
    IMGP1659a.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 473
More progress pics. All deck hardware located and other hull components finished. Off to the paint room tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMGP1667.jpg
    IMGP1667.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 445
  • IMGP1668.jpg
    IMGP1668.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 432
rigged

Looks awesome Dan,
I like your rising coaming at the front - notice you didnt go with blocks under the pulleys on the side like the museum boat?
Since the hull has no airtight areas under the deck, you think I'm playing with fire to omit the hatches on the fore and aft deck? Wonder how Nick and Jeff are coming along.:confused:
Going to put a nice 1/2 round ash gunwale to finish off the outside, and have it just lip on top of the deck.
I'll shoot some more pictures later, almost finished the seat today, seat bridge is done, rudder stick is done, just have to trim the coaming and shape the dagger and rudder and its time to rig. Power planer made short work of the spars.

notice you didnt go with blocks under the pulleys on the side like the museum boat?

No, I went with the Harken riser wedges (part 294) instead - they raise and tilt the cams enough to clear the 1" coaming. I saw Dan Sutherland had done something similar, and I liked the way they can be spread farther apart - I'll be more likely to grab the right sheet in a hurry! See attached...

think I'm playing with fire to omit the hatches on the fore and aft deck?

Not really, and you can always add them again later. One thing to consider though is if you don't put some relief in, the hull will pressurize in the sun. Most of the guys just drill a 1/8" hole in one of the deck hatches. You could do the same in a cockpit hatch, but you'll risk getting water inside when you go swimming. You might be able to drill a discreet hole in the for'd cockpit bulkhead just under the coaming...

Attachments

• IMGP1669.jpg
    IMGP1669.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 409
wedges

Thats a great solution, didnt like the look of the blocks anyways.
I remember Dan mentioning drilling the hatches, and I'll likely add some discrete holes up under as well - unlikely it'll go right under anyways, even with my cougar-like 250lbs:rolleyes: .

Back