Serial Number Search

#46 50109. New member, first post. Any info on this potential restroation project appreciated.

• benson gray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • any help appreciated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Welcome and congratulations, can you post some pictures of your canoe and the serial numbers from each end? Old Town shipped a 17 foot long Charles River model with serial number 50109 in 1917. The Kennebec with this serial number is a 16 foot long Morris type B from 1924. Neither of these are a good match for a 14 foot long canoe. Several Canadian builders made 14 foot long canoes but there are no known serial number records available for them. It appears that the identification of your canoe will take more than a serial number alone. Sorry,

Benson

Thanks for your research and response. I will take and post some pictures. The 14 footer cedar/canvass is narrow (30"), has a full keel, plain decks, centre strut and two seats (probably originally cane). More to come.

Again thanks Benson. Some Pics follow. The serial number is only on the stern stem. I suspect is was made in Canada. It has been in Ontario for at least 4 decades (in the roof of my boathouse for two, waiting for me!). I did put it in the water. It paddles like on tracks, and leaks badly (poor keel fastening I think). The hull is sound, canvass pretty good, decks partly rotted. My question is 'how much restoration effort is warranted'? My construction experience is building 6 strippers, and re-canvassing one.
Roger Bolt

Attachments

• IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0255.JPG