Serial Number Search

Cog

I have (what I believe is) a Old Town Molitor 17 canoe with a # 17-786943. I was hoping to find a build sheet or some history. I've contacted Old Town as well as the Old Town retail store. They were very helpful but could not fine any records. At first they thought it was a "invalid number" until I sent photos. They then suggested I contact this forum. Any help would be much appreciated. I am not sure how to attach photos to this forum, nor how I choose a participant?

Welcome and congratulations, I'm sad to report that the scanned records stop just over 250,000 so no one here can help. Your canoe should have a hull identification number on the starboard stern. The information at http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm will help you decode a date from this. It appears that Old Town stopped keeping detailed build records in the 1990s. Yours is probably from before 2010 when Island Falls Canoe started building them for Old Town starting with serial number 787030. The canoe with number 786865 has a plate on the stern deck that identifies it as a "2002 Heritage Edition" as shown below. Does your canoe have a plate like this? Let us know what you find and please post some pictures, especially ones showing the numbers. Thanks,

Benson

786865-a.jpg

786865.jpg

Last edited:
I have a WHITE fiberglass 14.10 model w/keel. Tanderine orange I believe is the Scout. model. Wood rails.cane seats, and wood thwart yoke.
Any idea on value? Also, was it customary to have wood rails and seats? or was this special order. It is in VG condition by the way.
Thanks
Maureen

The 1985 White catalog lists the Scout model as being "trimmed in mahogany and spruce" with wooden seats as standard. The information at http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/57/ describes how to value a wood and canvas canoe. Most of the principles there will apply to your canoe but the price range is much lower. Fiberglass canoes typically sell for a few hundred dollars. Good luck with the sale,

Benson

Back