Serial Number for Peterborough Rowboat

Scot T

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I've got a Peterborough all wood rowboat coming into the shop tomorrow for a refinish and have a few questions.

Where, other than on the inner stem/keelson, could the serial number be? I've not had opportunity to examine many of the all wood Peterboroughs (not very many on the West Coast, I'm guessing) but that's where the serial numbers have turned up so far on the few I've looked at.. I cannot find it on this one. I didn't spend too much time trying and there is a lot of old varnish in this area so maybe it's not obvious.

In the photo below one can see there is the "original" Peterborough decal. Is this the identification label that the rowboats normally had (It is a Peterborough decal, I know)? Another similar boat that I've seen had a brass plate at about the same location (there are no screw holes on this boat to indicate it had a metal plate attached at any time). And if it is original to this boat, can it's existance be used to roughly date the boat? Meaning did they change from brass plates to decals or vice versa at roughly this .... date?

I'll have a few more questions concerning some suspect hardware, floorboards, etc after I have a good look at it in my shop.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Peterborough Rowboat 1.jpg
    Peterborough Rowboat 1.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 626
  • peterborough 3.jpg
    peterborough 3.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 594
  • peterborough 2.jpg
    peterborough 2.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 645
There may be an identifcation under the seats. Serial numbers mean nothing as the "Receivers" destroyed all of the records when Peterbourough was forced into closure. (not the last time a healthy business was forced to close by bankers and bean counters).
Generally I've seen very few brass ID on Peterboroughs.
We call these Muskoka Skiffs. Great Rowers. The 14 footer model was a "Buckhorn". This boat has been reworked. Bolts in the Knees, Floorboards are not original. Still looks pretty decent and easy to clean up.
John

Thanks John. The boat is now in my storage garage and I've been able to have a bit better look. Still cannot find any numbers but not important. They may reveal themselves in due time.

There are a few things that will need addressing. Like the bolts you mention, the floorboards (original style ones to be made), an epoxy filled section in the keel and a few other odds and ends. But surprisingly, there seems to be very little if any wood damage (one cracked knee). All the fastenings are tight, no cracked ribs, all planking is very good and zero rot that I can find so far. A nice clean-up and varnish should just about do it.

Back