Seat Back

bpolvo

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Can anyone suggest a good canoe seat back for someone who has a back condition? I really want to stay away from the ones that screw into the seat but maybe I can't. This would be for a wood canvas canoe with cane seats.

Thanks, Bob

Porter Woodworking offers ash with following
folding cane $36
folding webbing $38
folding wood slat $30.00
1-800-871-4831
Patten Maine

we have a padded folding aluminum frame stadium seat from gander mountain, that straps to our front seat for my wife and she won't leave home without it. base strap just goes under the cane frame and is pulled tight and unsnapped after use. works great but not very traditional(big deal she's happy).

Kayak back band

I use a kayak back band in my solo canoe to give a bit of support to the lumbar region. I put a couple of eyes forward of the seat on the inwale on the Royalex boat. A rope loop through the inwale between the ribs on a W/C would work well for an anchor without defacing the canoe. Full back rests tend to interfere with torso rotation when paddling in my experience.

Last edited:
My chronic back pain (osteo-arthritis) is made worse by paddling a canoe while sitting -- whether I have a seat back or not.

A butt planted on a seat with knees bent or straight to the front can not offer the leverage needed for correct paddling.

In a canoe I always kneel and only support my butt with the front few inches of the seat. Before deciding to kneel, I was all over the seat trying to find a comfortable position -- it only screwed up my paddling technique. Since deciding to kneel, I have become a better canoeist. One must have a forward lean to correctly paddle a canoe -- not a rear-leaning backrest.

Hmmmm, maybe that's it. Does taking a "canoe ride" make your back hurt? Use a seat with a back. Does canoeing make your back hurt? Change to kneeling.

In my kayak, I sometimes feel a back pain coming on. Then I realize I have lost my paddling posture and I'm leaning back on the coaming rather than sitting corectly and using the lumbar strap for support.

The problem with replacement knees

I agree with Bills analysis above. Sitting up straight is necessary for me to be comfortable. Unfortunately I have 2 aftermarket knees and kneeling is no longer an option. I do find that a good foot brace will greatly reduce back strain and inprove paddling efficiency. The back band is only used when resting without getting out of the boat. Kind of like a recliner. Since I paddle solo almost exclusively, my outfitting is custom adjusted to my needs.

Back