Scherzo

Mark Adams

all wood nut
Hello,

Is anyone here planning on taking Geoff Burkes class on building Scherzo? It's at the WoodenBoat school. I signed up today, and it would be cool to meet some folks from the WCHA there.

Mark

Last edited:
I'm not taking it but I took it with him last year in Tamworth, NH.

You'll have a lot of fun but you'll work really hard. Most of all you'll learn a ton, from lofting the boat to finishing schedules. We got to paddle the original Scherzo which was quite a treat. In the end the boat was raffled (we only made one boat since the NH class was so small) and yours truly won. She's in my basement right now getting her finishing touches. :D

Geoff is a great guy with a unique NH sense of humor. He puts in 110% and makes sure you get your money's worth out of the class. Get yourself a real good 2" chisel, an old one with a socket handle, look on eBay and strike when a good deal surfaces ($50-75 is a fair price for a decent one). Much of the work will be done with a 2" chisel and everyone will be fighting to use Geoff's chisels so you'll have to wait in line if you don't have your own. Put a slight radius (1/8" crown) on the edge and get the back dead flat and you're in business.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want any more info about the course. :)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your input! I am really looking forward to the class. I booked my flight the other day, (13 hrs of travel going out!). Lapstrake is something I have always wanted to learn how to do. I have Walt Simmons book, but I am a "see it to do it" kind of guy.
So I should try and find a slick huh? I have most everything else on the tool list except the tapared bit set.
Perhaps you could send pics of your boat to me at Platterivercanoes (at) sbcglobal.net.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark,

You'll probably run into me over at the WoodenBoat School. I'll be teaching the "build your own Wee Lassie" class up there. The first week of my class will overlap with the last week of Geoff's class. It's a neat place with great people - staff, instructors and students!

Mark Adams said:
Lapstrake is something I have always wanted to learn how to do. I have Walt Simmons book, but I am a "see it to do it" kind of guy.
So I should try and find a slick huh? I have most everything else on the tool list except the tapared bit set.
Perhaps you could send pics of your boat to me at Platterivercanoes (at) sbcglobal.net.

Lapstrake is great. Glad I started there and had such a talented teacher. Geoff studied with Simmons and his methods don't deviate too much from what you'll find in the Simmons book. I've had that book since the thing came out in photocopy form but I waited all these years to give it a go.

With Geoff you won't have the luxury of seeing it to do it... you'll be doing it, the very best way. That's why you really should get the 2" chisel, it'll be in your hands a lot. Something like 48 14" gains to cut plus lots of scarfs and fitting hood ends to the stem rabbets. I can send you a couple of eBay links as I find them, you really want the right kind (the "Buck" brand with the plastic handle that Simmons sells is crap IMHO).

A small block plane like the L-N 102 (I have the one in ductile iron with the "tight mouth") is real handy for all the laps. It can be gotten with a holster but it's light enough to stay in an apron pocket. Your own small sliding bevel (Simmons sells one or you can make your own) is a good idea. A good spokeshave should be in your tool kit. If you don't already have one, I can highly recommend the Brian Boggs designed one that L-N puts out, it is one sweet tool. I wouldn't worry about the tapered bits, I'm sure Geoff will have his own.

Here is a link to another forum where I posted a brief essay on the class and some pics as well:

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?t=25259&highlight=scherzo

:)

Hazards of winning

Dan it was good to see you at the Wooden Boat Show. I hope you get out in that boat this summer.

Sincerely,

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

Attachments

• IMG_6395.jpg
    IMG_6395.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 487
Back