Scammer Working the WCHA Classifieds?

Jack Wagner

WCHA Member
I just received a response to my Copper Canoe Nail Ad, which appears to be the work of a scammer.

Here's what it said.

"HELLO,
I SAW YOUR ADEVERT THAT YOU HAVE A (Copper Canoe Nails) AND AM INTRESTED IN IT I WE WANT YOU TO TELL ME THE LAST OFFER PRICE AND PRESENT ONDITION, MY MODE OF PAYMENT WILL BE IN A CERTIFIED CASHIERS CHECK, IF IT PICS IS AVAILABLE YOU CAN SEND ONE TO ME. IN REGADING SHIPPMNET I AM MAKING ARRANGMENT WITH MY SHIPPER WHO WILL COME AND PICK-UP (COLLECTION)AS SOON AS THISTRANSACTION IS COMPLETED. YOUR RESPONSE WILL BE APPRECIATED.
REGARDS,
SMITH"

It came through a faster mail account {henrybary1@fastermail.com}

I just deleted it but thought I would pass it along for what it's worth as a head's up.

I did a little searching and found that fastermail has a history of scammers using it for this sort of thing.
This link is only one of a few I found along these lines.
http://www.terrificpets.com/scams/scam.asp?bad=252

Jack

Hello Jack,

Thanks for the heads-up. It is a variation on an old scam. I got a bunch of similar emails just before Christmas, some where picked-up by my spam filter, and I drew the conclusion it was a scam from that and the similarity between them in the email text.

I am told the scam works this way; when you confirm their “order” they send a person (shipper) to you for pick-up and he wants to pay with a “certified international check” in an amount made out bigger than agreed upon. The “shipper” phones the buyer, and he asks you to accept the check and pay the “shipper” the difference by cash or check. The “shipper” leaves with the goods and the difference in amount. The certified check you received will bounce on presentation.

Cheers
Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Early last year I got a similar inquiry about a canoe I was selling on my website. The guy claimed to be writing from California (provided an address, which was a real address, and a phone number, which was not working) and made the same offer to have a buyer come with a certified check. I did a bit of sleuthing and found he actually was somewhere from Eastern Europe. He quit corresponding when I insisted that he could get the canoe only after a check cleared.

Bottom line here is beware - the internet didn't invent scam artists, just made it easier for them to cruise for new victims.

standard scam

This is a standard scam that usually originates in Nigeria . Any one privately advertising an item on the internet can expect to receive these emails . The key is their payment by " cashiers " cheque which can take up to a month to clear your bank account and will prove to be nsf . It's then to late to do anything , you've been had .

I too received a scam offer for my canoe.

This offer was from a keromail.com account and offered to send a cashiers check for much more than the amount I was asking for the canoe with the understanding that I would cash the check and forward the balance to this person's "shipper".

What may well happen is that I could cash the check, then I would forward the money to an accomplice who would keep it. Eventually, the bank would realize that the check was bogus and collect from ME.

This is a known scam.

Please be aware.

Thanks, Jim

you can usually tell by the convoluted language also: dear sir, please to tell of last best price, for to me buy your boat. sheesh! for to me not answer your EMAIL!! but PLEASE TO BE SENDING CASH SOON , i send to bank ship canoe tooo. big money we make yes?

Back