Saving hardware

WoodFloats

Curious about Wooden Canoes
This has certainly been addressed before...but...what is the best solvent to "clean up" some original hardware. I'm restoring a 1963 Old Town and would like to save some of the original pieces. Why? Just out of respect if for no other reason. Even if it's just the diamond heads that would be ok. Thanks...

This is what I most often do for typical hardware like Old Town's brass diamond-head bolts, but not for fine things like brass builders' tags and such (these are more delicate and require a more careful touch).

Remove built-up varnish and such with stripper. You might need to sand heavy tarnish off and to repair minor scratches in the surface, but you don't need to be too aggressive. A grit range starting at 220 or finer should work well. Then work up through some finer grits (at least 400-800 or more to make polishing easier). Then you can use a buffing setup with two wheels, one for initial and one for final polishing. Load wheels with buffing compounds - I most often use tripoli (brown) to get out imperfections like fine sanding scratches, and white compound (fine) or rouge (finest) for final polishing. With this you can get a gorgeous mirror-like finish on your hardware.

You wrote "Even if it's just the diamond heads..." Those diamond-headed bolts ain't cheap, so clean them up and hang onto them! ...or send them to me... :)

Michael

Harbor Freight also has a cheap media tumbler than works fantastic (remember to look for coupons). Fill the bowl with whatever media suits your fancy, drop your bits in and turn it on for a few hours or days. Kitty litter and walnut shells are my favorite media.

Thanks and thanks. Thwarts are out, bow seat bolts are out and three of the four diamond heads securing the stern seat are out. Currently waiting for the penetrating oil to do its thing on the remaining diamond head. Sorry Michael...I'm keeping' them!

Be careful with the penetrating oil. If it gets on the cedar it'll leave a stain that'll be hard to remove.

Now you tell me! At least I was careful when I applied it...all is well. Of the 10 diamond heads all survived but one. It snapped very near the end. Now the cleaning process begins. A diversion from removing grit and varnish is certainly welcome.

PM me the length of the broken one. If I have a spare I'll send it to you...I've managed to accumulate a two pound can full of these....of varying lengths, mostly the shorter modern ones.
Mike

Back