Sans Souci - Canoeing With the Cree

pat chapman

Willits biographer
Is there any documentation of the maker of the canoe Sans Souci that Eric Sevareid used on his journey recounted in his book "Canoeing With the Cree"? He identifies it only as "eighteen feet long, an American made cruiser model with a wide beam and small keel". Judging from the photos in the book it looks like an Old Town, perhaps an OTCA, but the photos leave a bit to be desired in my copy for picking out such details as diamond headed bolts. Any thoughts anyone?

I have a strong recollection that the canoe was an Old Town. I think this may be because Sevareid so identified it in his memoir, Not So Wild a Dream, in which he also recounts that canoe trip. I don't have a personal copy of Not So Wild a Dream, but I remember he had a lot to say about the trip that was new and interesting in the later book. So try your library for a copy of Not So Wild a Dream. When our nor-easter of 05 lets up and the roads get plowed, I might get to the library and check for myself.

Thanks, Larry. I'll check with my library for a copy of "Not So Wild a Dream". I wasn't aware of the book before, so it will be interesting reading, I'm sure.

It’s a fuzzy recollection but worth checking. And it’s worth looking at the book for Sevareid’s more mature recall of the events in Canoeing with the Cree, in any case. Don’t know if you’re old enough to remember Sevareid from broadcast journalism in the 60s and 70s, but he was one of a kind, a very articulate, thoughtful, responsible journalist of the old school, who actually wrote himself every word he said on-air.

The book deals with several other notable adventures in Sevareid’s journalist career: getting out of France before it fell in 1940 and bailing out of a C-47 into the Burma jungles while trying to fly into Chungking, China, about 1943.

Depending on your point of view I'm fortunate or unfortunate to be old enough to remember Sevareid's distinguished voice. Don't make them like that anymore! I've put a hold on the book at the library and will get it next week. By the way, 2 guys are going to recreate Sevareid's trip this summer. Here's their website: http://www.hudsonbayexpedition.com/index.html

I consider myself fortunate to be old enough to remember a time when broadcast journalism had figures such as Sevareid and unfortunate to live in a time when broadcast journalists are distinguished only by their haircuts, teeth, clothes, and lack of substantial knowledge about anything.

Thanks for passing on story of two guys trying to replicate the trip.

Hi! I realize that it is several years later now! Ten! I just received a copy of "Canoeing with the Cree" from my sister Martha Vasquez from Madison and Ely Minn and read the entire book in two sittings and came to your question while doing some research about the book. The question of brand is answered on page 67 of the book. Sam, from the canoe club shows the boys the entire club collection of various canoes. The author then lists the different types and states among them "Old Towns, like ours" ................. john

Hi! I realize that it is several years later now! Ten! I just received a copy of "Canoeing with the Cree" from my sister Martha Vasquez from Madison and Ely Minn and read the entire book in two sittings and came to your question while doing some research about the book. The question of brand is answered on page 67 of the book. Sam, from the canoe club shows the boys the entire club collection of various canoes. The author then lists the different types and states among them "Old Towns, like ours" ................. john

Thanks for that information, John. I completely missed that in my reading of the book. It does clear up that question for me!

Thanks Pat! It just happened to be fresh in my mind. What a great book! I was about 16 when I first rebuilt an Old Town. (closing in on 70 now) A neighbor convinced me that I should try my hand at fiberglass. (the canoe was well rotted) Wish that I had some pictures!

Back