Sanding Between Coats?

I don't know what visqueen is, but I usually make a quick "booth" out of clear plastic, by just hanging it from sticks pulled to the trusses via ropes.

Once the painting or varnishing is done, it comes down.

Dan

visqueen

'nother word for vapor barrier, or clear plastic
actually a trade name, like calling facial tissue 'kleenex'

I've never used those liquid sander solutions, so my curiosity was raised by this thread. I checked out their MSDS sheets and instructions. They're a mix of organic colvents and silica. Instructions don't indicate that they should be aggressively rubbed onto the surface, and I haven't found any mention of grit size. Given all this, it seems that these work by etching the surface a bit by the silica but primarily because of the solvents. This probably explains the mixed results with these products. Seems also that if they were really the magic bullet, people would no longer be using sandpaper between coats.

msds

material safety data sheet, right? I read the container and was scared enough. The grit is mighty fine and only takes the shine off, i could not detect the grittiness between my fingers. I don't care for the part about birth defects, reproductive harm, and cancer risk. But I agree, it seems to be a mix of scratch and dissolve. And I also agree, sandpaper doesn't cause cancer, unless some of the dust is carcenogenic. I'll probably use the stuff again sometime just because I have some, but after that I don't think i'll buy more.

Back