Sanding Away

STANTHEMAN

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm started my first sanding yesterday using 150 paper and I bought one of those spongey blocks. I'm hoping you have some hints for sanding the planking in between the ribs. Is there a palm sander that would work for the ribs or any where else. I'm going to buy some courser sandpaper today as well. I'm thinking 100 -120, What do you use. I'm anxious to read some of your input. Like always, Much appreciated. Happy paddling, or sanding in my case. Stan the canoe man

Sanding

Stan:

Since no one jumped on this post and since I'll be doing alot of this in the near future, I'll chime in.

I usually start out with 100 grit make one pass over the canoe and then a second pass with 220 and call it ready for varnish. I have a palm sander that I use on the flat areas, and then typically do the rest by hand. I fold the paper to do between the ribs, etc., with the grain to avoid scaring the wood if I have to.

I just crank the radio and have at it.

I've had some limited success with a sanding star, and I still use it between ribs now and again, but it throws alot of dust I don't have decent dust collection, yet - see recent "cedar dust" thread.

I usually end up hand sanding the varnish between coats too.

Well, that's my system for now, and I'm stickin' to it.

:cool:

Back