Rushton Indian

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
After a lengthy restoration, my Rushton canvas covered Indian had its first paddle this past fall. What started out as a fiberglassed, entirely painted UFO, turned into a nice paddling piece of canoe history. For its age ( 1901- 1902 ), it was in remarkable condition, as I had only to replace 6 ribs and build new seats. Oh, and remove fiberglass as well as two coats of paint on every surface including under the decks! All the decks, gunwales and the thwart are original. The closed oak gunwales showed minimal wear but were in great shape. I guess having spent most of its life in a boathouse at the Adirondack League Club helped to preserve this early Rushton. DSC_0823.JPG DSC_1362.JPG DSC_1360.JPG DSC_1356.JPG DSC_1334.JPG

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the rushton. I guess all those hours removing paint and fiberglass from the woodgrain with a dental pick was worth it! Joe

Hi Joe. Tht's a beautiful canoe and a fine restoration. The hard work must have been well worth it. Nice! I always love the sweet profile of the stem ends in this model.
Michael

Back