Rubbing in the Filler

mmmalmberg

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I have highly inflamed, arthritic hand joints. I'm within a day or two of canvassing. I have two wonderings:

1) Has anyone tried an orbital sander with canvas on it to rub in the filler instead of using their fingers?
2) Would warming the filler be helpful and make it easier?

Hoping to not have to suffer too badly in this process:)

Yes, and yes.
I was originally taught to rub the filler using a small square orbital sander with a smooth covering like naugahyde. Any durable, slippery covering should work; fabric coated with rubber, plastic or vinyl.
Heat gently so you don't dry it out faster.
And apply pressure, while keeping the sander moving.

Last edited:
I use an orbital (not random) palm sander as well. I just stick a piece of scrap canvas on it in place of sandpaper. You can insert a piece of plastic (as cut from a milk jug) between the canvas and sander if you care about getting filler on the sander's pad.

It's like the traditional canvas mitt, but on steroids!

hello Mark. My friend Emory just forwarded emails. Small world. My method is different when it comes to filler, but this tip sounds very good.

Hi Dave! I've been enjoying getting to know Emory and I told him I knew your name from this forum:) My main thread for my OTCA project is titled "It's Official..."

The orbital sander worked great btw, I think best for the first filler coat. Thanks for dropping by:)
IMG_8772.JPG

3hours,3beers, $300. 1 canvas mitt. Just plain hard work if done by hand. Change sides when the mitt wears through. A random orbital with canvas attached would likely work fine.

I use a quarter sheet palm sander. I have a couple including a Porter Cable.
Picked up both for about $5 each at a garage sale or thrift store.
Not canvas. Use something smooth but durable that filler will not soak into eg. naugahyde.

Attachments

• PC palm sander.jpg
    PC palm sander.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 221
7D642D13-C1BC-47A8-B305-5216FBD977FB.jpeg 65BE8F80-9F26-443A-B18F-173AD3D733C6.jpeg I use rubber roofing membrane. Works great. I also contact cemented a 1/2” square of closed cell foam floor mat with beveled edges to the sander plate for more cushioning and no hard edges to dig into the filler. I stretch the rubber over that. If I want to sand I just stick a 6” round adhesive disc to the rubber.

I used my Makita 4" square sander. First I made a sandwich of two squares canvas with plastic from a bag in between with some spray adhesive (actually quite effective) then at some point I switched to some fine corinthian leather from my Cordoba:), that worked well too.

Back