Rotti123's Chestnut restore main thread. (lots of photos)

Thanks for the compliments! Your boat is looking great too, and boy do all your pictures look familiar! We're pretty proud of the work we've done on ours so far, even if the finished result is far from perfect. I've done enough other building projects to know that most of the blemishes and mistakes that drive you crazy during the building process tend to fade with time, and we've really tried to keep that in mind with this project. Not to mention with something like a canoe, it's only a matter of time that usage scars will give it a wonderful storytelling patina that far overshadows the building mistakes. We plan to get it on the water next weekend. We hope to put the last coat of paint on tomorrow, and then cane the seats during the evenings of this week (too bad the Olympics haven't started yet)

On another note, and I plan on starting a new thread about this, as I imagine my wife and I aren't the only amateur builders with this problem but we're having some serious issues with the tension changing depending on the weather esp. the humidity and temperature. So if you have any insight into this problem or just want to commiserate, please view my other thread. "Temperamental Canvas"

Also- Rotti123, if there was still any doubt in the raging debate about whether your boat is a chestnut, check out the attached picture. You'll recognize the boat, no doubt, but there's a visible chestnut decal on the deck.

Attachments

• chestnut decalresize.JPG
    chestnut decalresize.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 382
Yep that sure does look like my canoe. Work is still on hold because of bad weather and lack of spare time. Hopefully I will get back on track soon.

Back