Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Rocking Canoe

Discussion in 'Scale and Miniature Canoe Models' started by Craig Johnson, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

I have been working on a rocking canoe (instead of a rocking horse) for my grandson. Someday I'll write an article on the complications I ran into but today I got the construction and finishing done and am ready to canvas and fill. While that is curing I can work on the outwales and outside stems and also make the set of rockers. Still a long way to go but today felt like a milestone.. P1070012.jpg P1070007.jpg P1070005.jpg P1070011.jpg PC210001.jpg

MGC, Brad Fisher, millie_sass and 3 others like this.
  2. Norm Hein

Norm Hein Canoe Codger

That is really something Craig. I'm going to have to steal that idea! I thought I was the coolest grandpa for making a rocking moose but you win hands down.
    I look forward to the article.

rm.JPG

3. Brad Fisher

Brad Fisher Curious about Wooden Canoes

Make sure you can put wheels on it. That thing looks like it will last until he's driving at least.

4. fred capenos

fred capenos Canoe Pilot

Nice Crag. I think it needs a serial number though. Orders will be coming in.

5. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

that Sir, is kool.

6. Rollin Thurlow

Rollin Thurlow member since 1980

Short and wide canoes are the most difficult boats to work with. Extreme bends and compound curves!
    It looks like a great job!

7. crosscuts

crosscuts LOVES Wooden Canoes

Beautiful job! Make the seat removable and you will have a nice cradle till he is old enough to drive.

R.C.

8. OP
    OP
    Craig Johnson

Boy you said it, and I multiplied those problems to the extreme. Bent the outwales and outside stems, canvassed and filled today so six more weeks till more progresses photos.

9. OP
    OP
    Craig Johnson

Picked up this antique toy tool chest (being a carpenter myself and with a new grandson) but the real clincher was the picture in the lower right hand corner. P1190001.jpg P1190002.jpg

10. fred capenos

fred capenos Canoe Pilot

That’s cool!

11. OP
    OP
    Craig Johnson

Made some progress on the rocking canoe. Finished the outside stems and the outwales. I am in the process of building the carriage and rockers. Walnut carriage and maple rockers, I almost hate to paint them, but they will be blue. I still have a couple finish coats of paint on the canoe and the lettering to do, plus the stem bands. It seems close but still lots of details. Self isolation has been very productive . 680A68A3-F456-4CC4-82DD-AB7247A6C63D.jpeg F0830486-3FEB-4AE1-889F-2A54C55E00FF.jpeg DBC60055-1B30-459C-AC6A-901E080FF1B2.jpeg

12. Gary

Gary Canoe Grampa

Wow Craig, that is very well done, amazing craftsmanship and extremely creative. I just hope none of my grand kids see it our I'll be taking a stab at making them.

13. MGC

MGC Scrapmaker

It seems like a shame to hide such nice woodworking and wood under paint. Have you considered that paint on the rockers would probably rub off on wooden floors?

14. OP
    OP
    Craig Johnson

I will not paint the bottoms of the rockers.

15. millie_sass

millie_sass Canoe anybody?

Of course the rockers should be blue since they represent the lake/stream/river rushing by -- and water is blue, isn't it?. The shape of the rockers is so very imaginative and looks just like waves already without the paint, sooo ... maybe it could be a muddy river and that you could keep that lovely wood grain visible on the rockers. Oh what a lovely heirloom.

16. OP
    OP
    Craig Johnson

All done. I am glad to say that it I finished it yesterday. It is a bittersweet moment in that I am thrilled with the results but disappointed that I don't know when I will get to see him use it. He is in lockdown in San Fransisco with his parents and we are self isolating in Ohio. The last photo is my inspiration and his mom although he is now 17 months old.
    P3260010.jpg P3260012.jpg P3260014.jpg P3260017.jpg P3260020.jpg 20190622 Ohio 2042.jpg

17. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Coincidentally, I have been studying contemporary Greek, as a challenge. Καιρός (kairos)= weather. Also, "time". Love it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  18. Norm Hein

Norm Hein Canoe Codger

WOW Craig! Perfect example of functional art. Hang in there, hopefully it will be over soon.
    Norm

19. Michael Grace

Michael Grace Lifetime Member

That little fella is really excited to go canoeing! Love the rocker; I'm sure he will too... sometime soon.

20. crosscuts

crosscuts LOVES Wooden Canoes

This suspended cradle was built of locally milled black walnut fastened with copper ring nails. The transom posts came from a flawed rosewood rifle stock blank. Hanging from the ceiling the motion is a long slow arc easy to keep going with an occasional light push. It should have been built a little deeper because when the baby learned to get up on his knees one lunge would have taken him over the side. R.C. IMG_0137.JPG

Andy Hutyera and Benson Gray like this.