Rigging advice

Ronald Young

Curious about Wooden Canoes
My sister purchased this canoe (Old Town 114449 16) in 2004 for $3,000 and was told it was circa 1911. I believe it is mid 1930's. We have no idea if it is rigged correctly. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old Town.JPG

Oh, that's a shame...that model can't be rigged right, no matter what one does. It's a white elephant.
Tell ya what, I'll come over and take that eyesore off your hands....

Ed is a kidder-

I say, that's nice. I do not know canoe sailing but, nothning else to do so, here's a question. Does it look like it has weather helm? Should the leeboards be aft slightly? Hard to tell and am just guessing.
Regards, Dave.

It looks like all the various parts are present, but the assembly leaves a bit to be desired. Even blowing up the photo it's hard to tell what's going on up where the boom meets the mast, but something is rigged improperly there. The leeboard bracket will need to be moved aft, closer to the middle, the halyard needs to be tied to the yard farther up and the sail's corners should be tied out to the end of the spars, spreading the sail without wrinkles before any of the edge lacing is done. More photos would help diagnose exactly what needs to be fixed and how to do it, but basically the in-use configuration should look more like this (ignore the specific measurements as they are for this particular boat. Your boat may be similar, but won't be an exact match to the dimensions shown).

Attachments

• !MORRISS copy.jpg
    !MORRISS copy.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 577
Thank you sincerely for your help. I'll attempt to correct accordingly. Initial rigging was entirely by guess. I can see by other replys there is little liency offered to neophites. Maybe that's why sail boaters get such bad reps. Unfortunate for the sport.., yet I sense some take arogant pride in it.

Back