Remove Heavy Tarnish

michaelrandrews

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
2 Cups Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Salt
1 Sheet Aluminum Foil

Mix vinegar and salt in a shallow container.
Lay sheet of foil in bottom.
Submerse objects in mixture.
Wait 1 hour to overnight as needed.
Dip object in a mix of baking soda and water to neutralize.

Tarnish should come off with ease.

That sounds like your basic battery to me. Have you tried hooking up the metals (while immersed) to an flashlight bulb? Could save on your electric bill while cleaning old parts! :)

how do you put it back?

Okay, seriously - I have a bronze archers thumb ring that I had cast in silver and resized, but they had to buff my previously tarnished, excavated 3rd or 4th century piece to make the pink mold. Now its all shiny and looks silly and like a reproduction. How am I going to sneak up on the Mongol Horde with a shiny ring?

of course

its so simple now, of course - vandykes.:p
thanks for the tip, was thinking browning solution from the flinlocks but what I really want is that nice green patina back. Interesting site...

I darken all the nickel silver parts on the bamboo fly rods that I make either black or black-brown, depending on the look I want. I found these guys years ago when their catalog was about 40 pages of newsprint.

I believe that they were purchased by Cabelas several years ago. VanDykes also has one of the largest taxidermy supply houses in the world, and I imagine that was the unit Cabelas wanted, but they've really done a great job with the restoration division as well. Those boys know retail!

A new threat? Orange alert?

I am distressed. All this time I have been going through my life blissfully unaware that the Mongol Horde I thought was still west of China turns out to be practically next door in Ontario apparently so close to Andre's house that he is compelled to "sneak up on them" from time to time with some artillery relic. I would suggest that he may want to consider that the patina on his relic is perhaps not his biggest problem. I'm not much of an expert on military strategy but I think it's easy to see how they made it this far. People like Andre have been distracted by small shiny details of their weaponry and taken by surprise. Please try to stay FOCUSED!!! :eek:

Back