Rebuilding an 18 Foot OTCA

Andy Hutyera

The Red Canoe Guy - Life Member
Haven't posted here for a long time so I thought I would put up a link to my photo site that chronicles my efforts to put back together a 1961 18 foot OTCA. This canoe came to me from the owner's son who found me one morning last summer in a local restaurant ( remember those days??). He advised that he had an old canoe that belonged to his dad. It had been stored indoors and was in good shape. It just needed a little work.

It looked to me like it had been folded in an encounter with a rock in fast water. I started on it last Fall and have worked on it off and on since then. With the stay at home orders in place, I've had a chance to make some progress. It is now ready for varnish and canvas. Thought I would post it just to share what's been going on since we are feeling bumbed about the Assembly being cancelled. Will miss seeing you all!

Here's the link: https://andrewhutyera.smugmug.com/18-OTCA-Rebuild/

Stem tips, decks, some backsplices, planking and at least 14 new ribs! A little work, indeed. You've put a whole lot of work into her already. Hope to see her afloat at Pinchot in the fall. TM...

Well it's lucky it was "in good shape" else you'd have had your work cut out for you:) That's looking great, the color matching with shellac seems to be working well. Did you cut the first coat pretty thin? Thanks for sharing - this gives me hope for my project:)

Hi Andy, looks great! I'm working on a 1966 Otca. Its stems and decks are in pretty much the same shape. When you scarfed in the new deck pieces, did you have to bend them? They look small and like they may have been able to go in flat. I'm wondering if I have to build a deck press for my project.

Also, planks. where's a good source for cedar in the Pittsburgh area? Thanks!

Brad,

Missed you this weekend. No I did not bend the deck tips. I just scarfed on enough new material to be able to carve the bit of curve in. How much planking do you need? I may be able to help you out.

Finally got this project completely done. Added new stem bands and had to replace the decal because I got some filler on it. The deck plate apparently has the original owner's name and address. Painted with Rustoleum marine paint with Petit rusty red primer under it. Had to rebuild and refinish the floor rack which must have been a later addition as it does not appear on the build record.

Deck.jpeg

OTCA final.jpeg

Andy, that was a heck of a restoration. Looking good! Thanks for posting all the photos. They should be inspirational for others with canoes needing "a little work". If you share the photos with the previous owner, let us know what they say.

Michael

The 18' OTCA is finally on its way home to Pennsylvania with its owner, Mark, on the left, who was pleased to have his Dad's old canoe back in shape.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpeg
    IMG_0485.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0489.jpeg
    IMG_0489.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 286
I see some teak new in your photos.....what does that stuff do ,and how is it applied...and thanks .
Nessmuck,

It is great stuff. It's a two part bleach that brightens the old cedar and helps even out the new and old wood. It's a two part product. You moisten the wood with water then spray or brush on Part I. They recommend scrubbing with a small stiff brush. This turns the wood almost black. This is followed by Part II which I am sure is just a strong hydrogen peroxide solution (The same stuff ladies use to become blonde's.) This immediately brightens the wood. The beauty of it is that it does not degrade the wood in the least. The job is completed with a final rinse. I just use a garden hose. Available from most reputable marine supply houses like Wholesale Marine or Jamestown.

It won't hurt the ash. I had some ash gunwales that had started to show black discoloration. The stuff seemed to penetrate into the wood and followed the cellular structure. I wound up using a cabinet scraper and revarnishing. Tried bleaching but the stuff was too deep into the wood. The rails were still structurally sound so I just revarnished. I got most of the surface discoloration out. That was a number of years ago and they still look fine and are good and solid.

Yup....it’s that black stuff....I’ll just sand it and varnish it...and love the patina ...lol

Hi, My name is Keith Roegner from Portland Oregon and I have a 1966 18 foot otca wood canvas canoe that was my fathers. He purchased it in 1966 and had some repairs and new canvas put on in the late 90's. It has been stored inside ever since and is in good shape but could use a new coat of red paint. It has some rub marks from carboard laid over the top and scratches. Can you provide me some info on what type of paint, what prep work would need to be done and what would be an official color red to keep the original color? Would I contact Old town in maine? Thanks for your opinions and help with this in advance.
1966 Otca canoe.jpg
1966 Otca canoe.jpg

Can you provide me some info on what type of paint, what prep work would need to be done and what would be an official color red to keep the original color? Would I contact Old town in maine?

The site at https://www.islandfallscanoe.com/old-town-parts-and-materials.aspx offers the Old Town paints and other supplies. Any good marine enamel should work fine with some light sanding to prepare the surface. Old Town used a variety of paints and colors over the years so I would encourage you to simply pick a shade that you like. Good luck,

Benson

Back