Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Quick-dry filler

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Lew's Canoes, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Lew's Canoes

Lew's Canoes Canoe Builder

Early in this year's Assembly, a canoe was canvased then filled, over 2-3 days, with a quick drying filler. Can anyone tell me what this filler was, what their experience has been with this product, where I can get more information about it, and where I can buy it?

2. jwswanboats

jwswanboats Curious about Wooden Canoes

airplane filler

Hello Lew,
    I think what you are speaking about is dacron fabric filler. Word 'round the campfire is that Tom Mackenzie is the guy with the inside track to that stuff. i heard is comes from some factory in Nebraska. i don't know Tom's whereabouts, but i am sure somebody around here does. Also, i talked with Alex comb of Stewart River Boatworks at the last canoecopia here in madison, and he said he had a home brew that dried overnight as well. anyhow, good luck. i guess we'll all find out how good all this stuff works (ed) in forty years or so.
    Sincerely,
    Josh

3. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Interesting that you should ask this now,

I don't really know anything about this fabric or filler, except that I just ordered some from Aircraft Spruce to try it on samples. I was at the Assembly and watched them fill the canvas, I didn't get any info about the products though.

They (AS) have both Dacron and Cetanite(sp) along with several different "fillers". The stuff I orderd is appearently a 2 layer filler, they told me to put on the 1st (bottom) layer and then to top it with the other stuff. I have no idea what it is. (not an airplane guy)

Dan