Questionable buyers possible scam

johnmetts

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I have two people with two different emails wanting to send cashier's checks and have a shipper pick up the canoe. Their written English is foreign accented but very similar. (Example: " i am so happy to read your mail , i am ok with price , The> only way i will get you paid is by cashier's check kindly email me
> back if you are ok with mode of my payment , Hope to read from you
> soon.")
The one person says he is from Texas but has a Fresno California phone number.

I am wondering if anyone has had contact with this type of situation recently. The first buyer contacted me last week and the second buyer contacted me a few days later. Pretty sure this is a scam.

"Cash only"... It won't deter them from trying, but if they don't bother to read/understand that little statement, it's a scammer...

These scams are also very common on Craigslist. I recently listed a large quantity of bailed straw for sale and almost immediately had the cashier check offer from someone in Nevada....I'm in NY! His driver was going to pick the straw the next morning. Too funny. I usually get one or two of these for every listing I post. There are common themes. The cashier check, arranging for "his driver" to pick up, is the item listed still available etc. After a while you can get pretty good at sniffing them out. Sadly there are folks that fall for these ruses (are your grandchildren imprisoned somewhere?). Be careful not to provide your personal contact information in your listings. Bury them so that only real customers can follow the thread. Phone numbers should be listed as a mix of numerals and spelled numbers...that winnows the scammers out.

Back