Question for the Chestnut folk

Pook

Chestnut Canoe fan
Has anyone seen a Chestnut script logo anywhere but amidships on a canoe?
A friend is looking at a 16' Pal for restoration with what appears to be the Chestnut script on canvas but currently mostly covered y a layer of red paint.
I've seen a couple of variations on logo but always amidships. Hoping to learn something new.

Bruce
Logo on bow.jpg

Never seen a company name anywhere but midships. It might have been painted on by a previous owner. When my Chestnut was new in 1975 it had a decal on it at midships, but that was fairly late production. I bet that isn't original canvas. The gunwhale screws don't look original. Phillips heads? Is your friend in NS?

Script decals are common through 50s 60s and 70s - the factory did all sorts of stuff. At one time they appeared to be placed deliberately angled midships, as on my 50s Moonlight. Roger at Ivy Lea used to sell them, i believe the museum and Buckhorn canoes do now. The drywall screws, however, are not factory.

Thanks guys.

Benson, I looked through catalogues first and, though I saw seen the script with Chestnut on bow ( and stern on some boats) , I had never seen script only on bow. Perhaps once the paint is removed the "'nut" will appear.
And yes Andre, angled script in the 50's and early 60's -but what I've seen has always been amidships.

This canoe is a mess- but largely original. Screws may have been replaced but I think it still the remaining canvas is original - under a few coats of thick paint. Decks and original seat frames, too. This matchstick dry boat is sitting in Alberta.

Really appreciate the responses.
Bruce

Attachments

• Mikes_bow.jpg
    Mikes_bow.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 326
  • Mikes_seat.jpg
    Mikes_seat.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 319
Back