Purple Heart Stripe

Gary

Canoe Grampa
My grand daughters were all asking for paddles as their brothers each had one. With a favorite colour being purple I thought I'd add a stripe of purple heart in the blade of each, making them unique for the girls. After gluing and cutting out the rough shapes I got to planing and sanding only to see the stripe go brown. After some research I found that there is something in the wood called "conjugated dienes" which when brought to the surface and into the sunlight makes the surface of the wood purple. This process takes a long time but can be sped up by using acetone and direct sunlight in 30 minute sessions. I'm happy to say that it works and they were a hit with the young ladies. Now for these restrictions to lift so when can get out paddling together!
Stay safe and enjoy the shop, Gary
DSCN2696.JPG DSCN2697.JPG

looks great! used lots of purpleheart, it looks great against figured maple in a lamination. make sure you use some good uv inhibitors, over time with much exposure to sunlight it will start to darken to brown and lose it vibrant purple colour . after it browns when being worked, it will return to its purple colour overnite. great looking wood! try some padauk, but beware it makes the worst orange sawdust that clings to stuff like no other wood!

Yes thanks Andre, I finished them with spar marine varnish, so good UV protection and I have worked with padauk before as one of my grandsons favourite colours is orange!

Back