Purist or Custom

How significant is my 13' Old Town? How important is restoration for it?

• Restore

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Repair

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rand Oliver

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a Old Town 13' Lightweight canvas built in 1967 in need of restoration/repair. I am in a quandary, restore or repair? How significant is my 13' Old Town? How important is restoration for it? Seeking advise and guidance before both feet leave the bank. Thanks in advance.

The usual answer to a question like this starts with "It's your canoe..." so do what ever you like. A 13 foot Old Town lightweight from 1967 is probably not a historically significant unless it was formerly owned by someone famous. The estimates at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/models.html indicate that about 1587 of them were made. Good luck with your decision,

Benson

If by "repair" you mean 'glass it, I wouldn't. It will shorten the life of the canoe. Canvassing is easier anyway.

Can I surmise that an Old Town 13'- 50 pounder and a 13' Lightweight are one in the same based on Benson's comment above. I could find no reference to a 13' Lightweight build in the table referenced; and yet, the build bill refers to the canoe as a 13' Lightweight. Seeking clarification, please.

If there is no significance to this year and model, I may replace decks with other woods and paint the canvas a color other than listed on the build bill to customize and "repair" versus restore to original.

Yes, only the names are different between the 13 foot long versions of the Lightweight, Trapper, and Fifty Pound models. The original form and resulting hull shapes are identical. The estimates I referenced only counted the ones identified as fifty pound models so the actual total of the entire group would be higher. This form still exists so a brand new one could be built today.

The repairs and replacements you described are not unusual. Paint color changes are very common. Have fun with the repairs,

Benson

For that canoe, for me, "restore" and "repair" are almost the same thing, and neither infer a strict following of the original build record.
Minimize the use of resin on it and get it back on the water.

Back