Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Probable Kennebec

Discussion in 'Serial Number Search' started by Kathryn Klos, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

The Grant family had very strong ties to E.M. White.

Walter Grant's sister Delia was married to E.M. White, and his twin brother Wendall worked for (and boarded with) E.M. White.

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

Yes, it occurred to me that Wendall could have also learned the trade at Morris with his brother and then moved to White later. This might have been when his brother left in 1909 or when the factory burned in 1919. Does your research indicate if Wendall ever lived in Veazie or when he started at White? Thanks,

Benson

3. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

Wendell is with White as early as 1903. In 1900, the census lists him as a day laborer (age 18). No evidence of either of them being in Veazie has turned up.

4. Benson Gray

Eddington is about ten miles from Old Town so maybe they both learned at White.

Benson

5. Benson Gray

The great grandaughter of Walter Grant has confirmed that Walter worked at Morris Canoe in Veazie. I also spoke with Jon Capozza who said that he bought a partially burned Skowhegan canoe form, repaired it, and then built canoes from it for many years so not everything was lost in the fire.

Benson

6. OP
    OP
    Kathryn Klos

Kathryn Klos squirrel whisperer

Great to have the Morris/Grant connection confirmed!

7. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Even better to have confirmed that someone else would actually buy a partially burned out form and take it home. I cant wait to share this crucial bit of info with SWMBO!:p