possibly Peterborough?? 1621

I have an old cedar strip canvas covered canoe that belonged to my grandfather. Was told it was possibly a Peterborough from the 50’s but only marking is serial number stamped in the bottom 1621?? I included a pic of the bow deck to assist in id

Attachments

• A4F10C77-CB9C-47CA-83E5-EC196CB3092D.jpeg
    A4F10C77-CB9C-47CA-83E5-EC196CB3092D.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 315
Ash rails and deck look similar to a 50s chestnut I did a while back. Need more pics and some measurements. Probably a pleasure model built by chestnut for Peterborough

The wide cant ribs also suggest chestnut to me. . . . . but I have been wrong before. I've read that Canadian Canoe, Chestnut and Peterborough boats were all made at one of their factories and then labelled up according to who sold them - so if it reminds me of a Chestnut, it could well be a Peterborough

Is there a way to cross reference the serial number to chestnut records? I am looking to find as much info on the canoe (make, model, year etc). I have hung it in my home and want to do a historical plaque with the pertinent info to complete a display in honour of my grandfather, the original owner.

Haliburton paddler,

Where are you located? In Haliburton? If so one of your best resources is local. Dick Persson of Buckhorn Canoe Company is worth contacting for more info. Along with a few others on this site Dick is go to guy for Peterborough, Chestnut and Lakefield canoe info.
cheers!
Bruce
Btw my Early 60’s Chestnut Pal is sn#23241

Along with the dimensions Benson has suggested, pics of the thwart shapes, including looking for a taper on the ends where they meet the rails is useful. good pics of the seat frames, and underside of the decks are often useful. Dont fall into the trap of rigidly looking at published measurements, the boats often differ slightly but moreover look at the overall dimensions. if its a 16' it will have two thwarts, one for 15,14 on down. Rib width and and taper is useful for dating, and the screw pattern for a keel to see if its a shoe or regular. lots of pictures are a great help.

Back