Plans or design for caned seat back?

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Anybody have some plans for making 'old style' caned seat backs? I intend to use it on a PennYan Rainbow - or whatever else I might acquire in the future. If you look at this link you'll see a rather nice design for an Adirondack Guide that'll show what I'm talking about ( http://www.sandypointboatworks.com/canoe_accessories.html ). I expect I'll end up designing my own, but can't hurt to ask. Winter is long, so I've got the time...

I am up against this same thing right now. I just finished caning a practice seat, which I will put on my daughter's double paddle canoe. My biggest concern on the seat back is that most the ones I see, like in your link, are not very tall. Where does your backbone rest on these? It seems like the odds are that your spine will be riding on either the upper or lower crossbar instead of the cane, so the taller the better. That seems like overkill somehow. Another thing that puzzles me is the seat backs I see that are apparently in the rowing position. Can you really row with a seat back behind you? I think most of the historic backed seats were only in the passenger (or sport) position. I guess I have a similar concern on the double paddle canoe. You want quite a low seat back to allow free movement of your back. I can't figure out how cane will work for this application. A kayak typically uses a suspended low backrest, which can adjust itself to your back.

I agree that having the back too high would be a mistake - it'd get in the way for anyone paddling. The higher back supports, like the one in the link I included, were (I believe) originally meant to be used by a passenger sitting in the center of the canoe.

A while back I made some seat backs for my Otca - see image below. The top of the back rest extends about 12" above the seat & seems to hit the back just right for both my wife (5'6") & myself (6'). They were easy to make... but don't look as snazzy as caned backings.

100_2027.jpg

Here ya go... these are the best pics I've got of 'em. I did this back in the mid 80's. The canoe was a hardship case - it had only one deck & that one was half eaten away. This seemed like a light weight solution, but I didn't have enough of a shop to make it happen properly. Am in the process of re-refinishing this canoe & the first thing to go were these decks. Made my own like a la OldTown style - except with carved wood instead of bent.

100_2003.jpg100_2008.jpg

Back