Placement of Mast Step

Don Kerr

Curious about Wooden Canoes
i'd like to know the proper placement of the mast step on a 17 foot Otca. If someone could tell me this measurement from the inner stem of the canoe to the middle of the mast step, that would be fantastic.I just purchased an ACA sail and plan to use the canoe in sailing competitions with the ACA sailors. As you know this is a 44 sq. ft sail and my canoe is a 1922 OT Otca that has been fully restored. Serial # 69207
P.S. i restored this canoe about 4 years ago and have been using it for paddling every year. It's really a sweet ride. Thanks for your help.

Mast step placement

After some research via previous Threads, i've answered my own question. it's not about the distance from the inner stem of the canoe to the mast step, it's the positioning of the Center of Effort of the sail to the leeboard thawart. So for those that are interested in knowing the proper placement of the mast step, it's all about the size of your sail. Thanks.:)

Typically, OT used a seat design that placed the step directly under the bow seat. The leeboards were then positioned independent of the seat. Sometimes the seat was mounted with the hole aft, and other times with the hole forward. My '43 OTCA has the hole forward.

Back