Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Peterborough wide plank canoe

Discussion in 'Traditional All-Wood Construction' started by balletz, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Dick Persson

Dick Persson Canoe builder & restorer

Bill,

Below is the Comfort Canoe page from a mid 1890’s Peterborough catalogue, showing the canoe with a sailing rig. Your sailing rig might look different as many types of rig were available.

Doug’s suggestion is a good one, put this canoe aside for a later careful restoration and find a beater for this summer.

You are always welcome to call or email for advice.

Cheers
    Dick Persson
    Headwater Wooden Boat Shop
    Buckhorn, Ontario, Canada
    Phone: 705-657-2601

Attached Files:

2. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Canoe Nut

I agree with all the rest. This is a great canoe and you will want to do it patiently.

I was having trouble getting to the website last night or would have responded to your picture question. Most all photo programs has a feature to resize a picture. But as you did, sending them to some to do it for you works too.

Paul

3. OP
    OP
    balletz

balletz Curious about Wooden Canoes

I am seeing the light. I did not consider picking up a another canoe to "bump around in"...and think that is likely the best suggestion. As I am new to the wooden canoe world, it makes sense to get smart input on this project. I restore antique wooden works clocks and antique oil paintings and understand that what it means. Now...to find another canoe! Back to Ebay!!

4. Treewater

Treewater Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

I am now scattering comments over several posts. If anyone can simplify this or consolidate it please do. (moderator?)
    My ribs are 6" on centers. The boards are four to a side 3 1/4", 3 1/2 " I still do not know if Peterborough, the manufacturer by that name, made my canoe. There are no tags or serial numbers on the boat.