Peterborough Decal/Plate- Help

Nick Dennis

WCHA UK
I am repairing a Peterborough Cedar rib which we believe is model #20 date range 1909-1921

I am looking for a makers plate or original decal for that period. I have as a last resort the Peterborough decals from the WCHA shop but they are of a later age than the canoe.

Any ideas or info on where I may source something more original?

Thanks

Hello:
Saw your post and need to acquire a proper Peterborough decal for the restoration of your circa 1909-21 cedar rib canoe. It is highly unlikely that you could find an unused original decal of this vintage. None of the current reproductions available depict the correct version of the decal as it would have appeared during those years. Such a decal would simply say "The Peterborough Canoe" in the interior of the red oval, with no reference to Trade Mark (except below the design). Courtesy of Jeremy Ward, Curator of the Canadian Canoe Museum, I have obtained for you a scan of the PCC catalogue cover of 1919, which shows the label as it appeared then. I have attached this below as a thumbnail. I suspect that you can likely find a local printer near you who could make you up an appropriate 'water-slide' decal which you could apply to your restored canoe. If you print up a few extras, I'm sure you'll be inundated with requests from others.

Hope this helps. If you can't work from the thumbnail attachment, just email me at: bushrat22@gmail.com and I will send by return email.
Cheers,
Roger Young

Attachments

• Scanned from a Xerox Multifunction Device.pdf
    283.7 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
Nick:
If you printed up that decal MINUS the words "Trade Mark Registered", as seen just below the design, I believe you would have a form used just prior to the official Canadian registration of the mark, in 1911. In http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.p...Canoe-Co-decals&highlight=peterborough+decals, you will see what I mean in the third photo. I could have suggested using that as a base to work from, but the decal is a bit worn and the photo is not clear. Thus, got you a scan of the 1919 catalogue cover from the museum, which is far more crisp. The other decal does not show any typed words at all referencing the 'Trade Mark', so is believed to pre-date its registration (Aug. 1911). There is one even earlier version, as shown in the other posting.

Good luck with your restoration and decal recreation.
Roger

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your help. With a bit of tweeking and digital work I ended up with this which I think works very well.

IMGP2307_zps81243fde.jpg

Nick

Back