Peterborough Canoe Poster

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I just got a Peterborough Canoe poster off Ebay. It came from Canada and the name associated with it is Bradley Bain. Great poster. Lots of good information. Is he a member, any know him and where the information comes from?

Seller answered my inquiry. Poster was found in a building he bought few years ago. It is a re-print of a 1922 poster by Peterborough Canoes.
some facts then as per Peterborough in 1922:
Three methods of building "all wood" canoes..."rib and batten, longitudinal strip, and cedar rib."
We are calling rib and batten "wide board" today. They call this the original method of "all wood" canoes.
Canvas covered canoes were offered and they state they have built canvas canoes since 1905. Other persons have identified this event with a lawsuit over the canvas method brought against Peterborough. They claim to have ongoing innovation and change. I think I have one of their experimental boats.
They offered in 1922 quite a line of purely pleasure boats. I mean really, a built in phonograph and record cabinet?
Sponsons were offered and add 20 lbs. I doubt any professional would even consider these so I guess that is to appeal to the weekend "courting crowd."

Back