Penn Yan Decals

Dan Lindberg

Ex Wood Hoarder
This is resurrecting a old subject but,
has anybody seen or have a image of the decal shown in the attached pic?
It is oval and maybe 3-4 " across.
I believe it was used before the larger square one and possibly after the small "shield" shaped one, ie, early 1930's.

Penn Yan ONS 62 Decal.jpg Boat Deck.jpg PennYyan Decal 1-2.gif

Last edited:
No replies??

More info,
I found several catalogs and ads on the web,

in the 1929 ad, it shows the small shield styled decal,
in a 1939 catalog, it hows the larger blue rectangular decal.
and in the '46 and '49 catalogs the blue decal is shown.
I also saw in the 40's catalogs, a comment about both the Rainbow and Owasco having all mahogany trim (except for the rails).
so with these constraints,

1921 to 1933'ish >> the small shield decal
1933'ish to 1939'ish, >> the horizontal oval
from 1939'sh to 1966, >> the blue decal

anybody have any other Penn Yan catalogs?

Last edited:
I've got a few catalogs from the 1930s, but they are half a world (literally) away from me right now.

I don't recall the oval catalog being portrayed in a catalog, but could be misremembering. I've seen it on a Kingfisher that was in the ABM flea market a few years ago. For the life of me, I can't find any photos right now.

Dan

Thanks Dan,
When you get home maybe you could check and see if an image exists?
(No hurry, as of this week it's likely I'll get back the Owasco I restored come summer.)
There seems to be only a few of us that even know it existed. :)

That aside, hopefully you guys are doing well over there and you are finding enough to do to keep out of trouble. :)

Dan
did the PY catalogs ever get into one of the CD's?

Here ya go... though perhaps you can find better. I did a bit of editing on the indian image to help eliminate the graininess.
PY Indian Single.jpeg PennYan decal nbr 1 - 600dpi.jpg
I've made decals from both. They're not as good as the originals but they work. You can contact me if you're interested in getting some, or you can make them yourself from the above jpegs. All you need is some inkjet decal material and a printer. And some computer skills. Watch out when buying the decal paper as there are two types: one has a transparent base, the other semi opaque white. I'd recommend the latter as the colors come out more vivid - with the transparent type you can see the wood grain through the image. O - and make sure you spray the decal with clear lacquer to seal it from water. And I also add a coat of varnish as well once on the boat.

did the PY catalogs ever get into one of the CD's?

Dan is probably sleeping now so I will jump in. Dan and I made a prototype Penn Yan CD for the current owner of the Penn Yan trademark but they didn't want to proceed with the project so there are no scanned Penn Yan catalogs available at this time. Sorry,

Benson

Thanks Howie for the offer and Benson for the info.
Someplace I have a shield decal I got from Penn Yan years ago, if I can find it.

Benson,
If you have the PY cat images, could you look at the 30's versions to see if a pic of the middle decal is shown?

I'd really like to see what the middle decal is before making a decision which to put on.

Thanks,
Dan

The Indian decal was shown in the circa 1926 and 1933 catalogs. The sail boat decal was shown in the catalogs from 1939 to 1958. The 1960 catalog had no obvious decal. The scanned catalogs are not a complete set so there are many holes in the sequence. Sorry,

Benson

Thanks Benson,

The Indian/shield shown in '33, interesting. I had thought this canoe was 31 or 32, but I suppose it could be '34 too.

So we are looking for '34 to '38 catalogs as possible for the larger oval decal image.
Is there a dividing line between basswood ribs and cedar ribs?

Last edited:
Back