Passing of NW Chapter WCHA Founder, Carl Hoth

pat chapman

Willits biographer
Sad news to share.

Carl Hoth, the founder of the NW Chapter WCHA, passed away yesterday. He was a lifelong lover of wooden canoes and was an inspiration to so many of us through his tireless and selfless work for the chapter.

The Northwest Chapter of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association was the realization of a dream Carl had to bring to the Northwest United States the same fun and educational experience he had at the WCHA Assembly at Peterborough, Ontario. Carl almost single-handedly organized, paid for, advertised and ran the first Chapter meet at Millersylvania State Park outside of Olympia, Washington in the fall of 1993. Carl asked only that everyone have a good time, and that we did! That meet was attended by a relative handful of wooden canoe enthusiasts from Washington and Oregon, many of whom have continued to form the core of the chapter today.

Shortly after the Millersylvania meet the Northwest Chapter was officially started and was registered with the WCHA in New York. The chapter serves paddlers and canoe enthusiasts from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, and British Columbia. Carl continued to serve in various functions, including Chairman, Program Chairperson and Auctioneer. An unsuccessful campaign to be elected to the national WCHA Board of Directors shortly after that resulted in Carl being able to dedicate his full energies to the Northwest Chapter.

Carl continued his involvement with the Chapter until poor health prevented him from attending the last few meets.

Beyond all his accomplishments on behalf of the WCHA, Carl will be remembered as a great friend by so many of us. Goodbye, Carl.

Carl Hoth: March 4, 1920 - November 27, 2011

Attachments

• Carl.jpg
    Carl.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
I knew Carl from when he sold me a Rushton Indian Girl, and gave me another canoe on the same trip. This was when he was still making the drive from Phoenix up to Bellingham. I lived in Salt Lake, and he would stop by on his way through. I found him a rather nice HW in Salt Lake that he paddled for many years. The last time i saw him was in 2000. I was in Phoenix to see a friend, and saw him then. I talked to him on the phone a year ago or so, and he was struggling then. Carl was a good guy, and was indeed passionate about wooden canoes.

That's sad news, thanks for sharing.
I don't believe I'd ever heard of him, but he sounds like an enthusiastic voice for the community. And what a fantastic photo.

Back