Parrel beads what size will these do?

Discussion in 'Canoe Sailing' started by alick burt, May 18, 2017 at 3:03 PM.

1. alick burt

alick burt LOVES Wooden Canoes

Hello Folks
    I have been slowly working between other things on a sailing rig to sell with my wood strip canoes.

20170410_113314.jpg

I have been following Todd Bradshaw's excellent book and am having a Standing Lug sail made to with a set of Morris style leeboards, a 10ft hollow mast,a boom,yard and rudder assembly that I have made to go with it.

20170316_120454.jpg

Sailing Rig Rudder. (work in prog).jpg

I have recently taken order of some wooden beads that I thought might work as parrel beads. My Mast is about 2"dia at its max point and these beads are 10mm dia with a 2mm hole and they came with some leather thread.They are made from undisclosed hardwood possibly Lime.

On reflection I think the beads may be a bit small, am I right or would they be ok perhaps with a bigger hole drilled through them and thicker thread ?
    Also they are unfinished so should I varnish them or oil them? I have varnished everything else.

Many Thanks

Alick

2. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Sailmaker

10mm seems a bit small to me, though I don't think there are any specific standards that I am aware of. For canoe stuff, I'd probably be looking for something maybe twice that diameter with a hole big enough to freely pass a hunk of 3-4 mm cordage. Traditional parrels were often slightly barrel-shaped, though these days it will probably be a lot easier to find round wooden beads. As for their finish, I'd probably oil them, since varnish rubbing against other varnish can be rather "sticky" for lack of a better term.

3. OP
    alick burt

alick burt LOVES Wooden Canoes

Great! Thanks Todd
    They were fairly cheap in any case.
    Love your book too, full of inspiration.
    Many Thanks
    Alick.