painting Old Town Greek key #37

sander63*

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi, After a lot of sanding (and frustration!) got my last coat of ezpoxy red on and decided to quit as finally had no sags and minimal brush marks. Wanted to try and recreate OT's Greek key which has 1/2 black stripe outlined by 1/8 gold. Was wondering would it be best to mask for a 3/4 stripe and then try to add the gold on top of the black? Would appreciate any suggestions or advise anyone care to share.
Thanks, Tom

127468-17 qqq.gif

Unless you must paint to maintain originality, use vinyl. Vinyl shops can fabricate the gold and black perfectly. It usually requires a joint at the top of the Greek spiral.

If you want to paint it, there are a fair number of automotive pinstriping masking tapes available. I like "The Striper" which comes in many different striping designs. You simply apply the tape and peel off the portion that gets the paint. I also like 3M Fineline masking tape. If you go with, "The Striper" consider getting some of their pinstriping paints. I think it is lacquer based so it dries quickly and works well with the tape. Very durable too.

https://www.finessepinstriping.com/striper

Thanks Gil and Fitz for sharing your ideas and experience. I would not have made it this far without all the help of WCHA members! That striping tape sure looks interesting if I decide to paint.
Thanks
Tom

The image below shows a design number 37 in vinyl on a four foot long model. It is difficult to paint details like that at one quarter scale.

Benson

Models-1.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like you had a poor experience with Pettit ezpoxy as well. Personally I will never EVER say a good thing about it. Not user friendly at all.

Great pictures of the models and paint scheme #37, Thanks Benson. I am new to painting so don't have much experience with different kind of paints, but thought for a while that I was going to corner the local sandpaper market! It was suggested to me to try using interlux 333 brushing liquid (instead of 120) and that along with a better brush made a huge difference. As suggested by others I found Pam Wedd's articles and they were really helpful as well.
Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,

In case you haven't yet gotten an anwer to your original question, you can certainly tape off twice to paint your stripe, once for the gold and then again to give it a black center. All that taping off can be a pain unless you use something like "The Striper" as Fitz suggested, but in any case the results will be worth it. An experienced striper might tape off and paint the black, and then free-hand the gold edge (or vice-versa), or use a striping tool:

https://www.beugler.com/

but mastery of this tool takes some practice.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi Michael.
Thanks for your suggestions and link to the tool. I think I am going to find an old lawn mower to practice 0n and give it a black and gold stripe job using the tape method. Anway, I am excited to be getting close to getting it in the water soon, it's been about a year since getting hauled home. Your article on canvassing a sponson canoe was very helpful especially the part describing all the hidden nails and screws holding those babies on.
Regards,
Tom

Back