Paddle Bags

owlsroost

Fishing Guide
There must be some thread on where to get a decent paddle bag for a 6 foot paddle, but I searched it and didn't come up with one. Any suggestions on who might make a water proof paddle bag?

Well Dan I have used the Northwoods Style paddle and stroke for many years. A proper fit for that paddle is 3 inches shorter than the overall height of the paddler, with a maximum of 6 foot. I actually have a Peavey paddle that is 6 foot also. But as a matter of course I make my own bow and stern Northwoods paddles.

Long paddles make for great rudders when you're sailing a canoe, without an installed rudder. They're also nice for standing up & scouting rapids; in deeper water, they're better than a canoe pole.

Here is a shot of the freighter that I use to guide from. I'm not using a paddle here but you can see it sticking up just in front of me. This was taken at Landing Pool on the Upper Magalloway.

@0 Footer at Landing copy.jpg

Last edited:
Owl,

Thanks, cool boat, we don't see much of that here in MN, the land of "hit & switch" paddlers. :)
There's a few folks canoeing rivers here, but we're mostly lake traffic in the BW, flat deep water canoeing.

Dan

As to paddle length -- the grip on a northwoods style paddle, and the way the grip is held, allows for choking up -- effectively making the paddle shorter.
northwoods grips cr.jpg Rob Stevens Grip ed.jpg cr 100_3281.JPG cr 100_3283.jpg

I bought Gun Socks for a pair of paddles i bought this winter, I not sure there are many 6' guns out there, but for the rest of us it a cheap solution.

Mary sews up simple drawstring bags from a variety of fabrics and patterns as shown in this shot of our paddle corner.

Photo1665.jpg

These protect the paddles from scratches during transport and provide instant identification when selecting which paddles to take along; pink cupcakes=Emily, beer steins=Kyle, etc.

Back