OT Record Request

Kirk B

I just acquired a 1935 Old Town Guide model, 18 foot long. My grandfather in Fenton, Michigan purchased it used in 1940 and later on in life passed it on to my father. My father now passed it on to me and I just recently got it transported out to me from Ohio to Portland, Oregon using KAS transport - great service! My father had the canoe professionally restored a few years ago, so it's in excellent condition. My son and I will soon be enjoying the canoe as the weather warms up - which to me is pretty cool with the FOURTH GENERATION enjoying this remarkable piece of craftsmanship.

Sorry for the long intro, but I thought some of you might like to know this canoe's background. My father was actually going to give it away since he didn't think I would want to pay to have it transported across the country. Thank goodness for small vessel transport services like KAS, which allowed me (although at some cost) to keep this wonderful canoe in our family. I'd appreciate a copy of the build information that I can keep with the canoe and pass along to my son when I age. The serial number is 115397. Thank you in advance.

Four generations... Very cool! I hope you enjoy it for many years!

I am sure that we will. I grew up canoeing and kayaking with my father. A few years ago he gave my family two Klepper folding kayaks that we have been using and enjoying. We are very active in the outdoors with many camping trips in the warmer months. The Old Town gives us more options because of the greater load capacity compared to our kayaks. We plan to load up our camping gear and either camp on the far side of some local lakes away from the crowds or visit lakes where we can camp on some islands. We don't fish much, but I plan to take that up with my son with the canoe. Logistically, fishing from a canoe with the family will work better than the confines of the kayak.

Welcome and congratulations, the Old Town canoe with serial number 115397 is an 18 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, Guide's model with western red cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, half ribs, a keel, and outside stems. The decks, thwarts, and seats are probably oak but may be ash since the notation isn't clear. It was built between January and April, 1935. The original exterior paint color was G. S. (Guide's Special) Green. It shipped on April 16th, 1935 to Lansing, Michigan. A scan showing this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

115397.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to join.

It is possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Canoes with a family connection are always extra special. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Enjoy it,

Benson

Back