OT HW: finally time for varnish and paint

Mike Burdick

Novice at the wood canoe
Many years ago, you ladies and gentlemen encouraged me to give a 1924 OT HW the care and repair it needed. A total rookie, I don't regret taking your encouragement to heart. Thanks. I worked on it last summer and finished the structural repairs and getting the canvas and filler on. Then we moved from Macomb, IL. to Effingham, IL (I was nervous about the movers' choice of strapping the canoe to the side of the truck, but it arrived safely). Now it's time to paint and varnish it.
I intend to buy Epifanes clear spar varnish.
I welcome your suggestions for the primer and paint, please.
The WCHA is a marvelous community.

Attachments

• IMG_8794.JPG
    IMG_8794.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_8554.JPG
    IMG_8554.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_7769.JPG
    IMG_7769.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 382
Hi Mike,
I remember seeing the canoe in the condition in your third photo. Nice job!
Epifanes clear is a great choice.
I use Pettit EZ Prime. It builds up well to help fill in low spots and sands easily. I use 2-3 coats. Smells bad but works well.
For paint, I like Epifanes, Interlux Btightside, Pettit EZPoxy, and Kirby, in that order.
Epifanes Monourethane is the best right out of the can and gives superior gloss over and above the rest. Kirby offers many different colors that others don’t offer, but you will need to live with brush marks.(at least I haven’t figured that out yet) It will also need to be amended with Penetrol to make it brushable without brush dragging .

Reactions: MGC
Thanks, Dave. Since the OT HW was originally dark green, I'm fine with the Epifanes dark green ... making my choice pretty easy.

Dave Osborn has it right. Those items always come out great every time. Though I'm usually good with one coat of primer. Usually interlux pre-coat.

The reason I use 2-3 coats of primer is that most of it gets sanded off in an attempt to fill and fair the low spots.

In my experience, I have not been able to get positive result using Penetrol. I don 't know what I'm doing wrong, so I just quit trying to make it work. I'll use a little thinner if I need to . I roll and tip.

Nice job. I've restored an O.T. 18' Guide. I made some notes about paint at the time. Briefly, Ben Moore enamel underbody (tinted) with the stock dark green Rustoleum over. The underbody builds up quickly and the Rustoleum (rolled on and tipped off) gave beautiful results. As good as they are, I can't bring myself to shell out for the high end products.
Just weighing in with a more moderately priced option.
Good luck

Back